View Full Version : ECabinets & operating systems

john_hartman
12-17-2009, 09:16 AM
So I'm looking for a laptop to run this demanding software. I have the spec's from Therwood and "Windows XP Pro" on a laptop is a difficult thing to come by. Nor is it recommended to strip the "loaded" operating system to XP Pro, because of the "drivers". Is their anyone running this software on Vista or Windows 7?

Incidentally is there a preference for a brand of laptop that someone might care to share? What set-up/configurations work best?

Many thanks...

ken_rychlik
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
John, I'm not sure about other brands, but Dell has an outlet center that has refurbished pc's. I found an inspiron 9400 with xp for about half price there. It runs ecabinets fine. Make sure it has the nvida video for the graphics and buy all you can afford as far as speed and memory go. Mine came with the same 1 yr warranty as a new one does and they offer extended warranty as well.

This is just for the design pc and I don't use it on the bot.

Kenneth

dlcw
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
John,

If you get a chance to surf the eCabinets forum it looks like many people are successfully running eCabinets on Windows 7. Even if it has to run in the XP simulator mode, that is better then Vista and with Windows 7 you can equip the machine with a lot more memory. A machine with Windows 7 might be a very viable option for you.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

john_hartman
12-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll look into both options as they save a lot of money..
Cheers

joe_dusel
12-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I am running eCabs Version 6 (beta) using Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition. Except for some bugs that still need squashing the eCabs software runs fine. I suggest that you do go the Windows 7 route since it will allow you to bulk up the RAM. Stuff in as much RAM as you can. I have 6 Gig in mine. Running my system with eCabs plus all my other junk (browsers, email software, organizer, etc.) I'm typically using around 2.5 to 3 Gig of memory.

Happy Holidays!

Joe