PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ Avery masking

larry_high
02-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I just completed a v-carve sign where I used Avery masking on HDU sign board. When removing the mask from the sign the glue backing remained on the sign. Has anyone come accross this problem and if so, what was used to remove the glue. The base paint is BM flat exterior latex w/ One Shot lettering.
Thanks
Larry

hol
02-13-2009, 09:44 PM
If it's just a few places where the glue is left, take a fresh piece of the mask and stick it to the sign face where the adhesive still is and it should take it off.

cnc_works
02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
I have experienced Avery mask leaving glue sticking to a nitrocellulose lacquer surface, it seems no matter how long I let it dry. I think it has something to do with the out gassing. That is the only situation I have ever had problems with the mask and I've been through a couple of rolls.

As far as removal of the glue, the only thing I found that made it moderately easy was Goof Off or Goo b gone or one of those adhesive removers. Made a tough job doable and didn't affect the lacquer surface.

Donn

larry_high
02-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks to MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASER I was able to remove the backing glue. I tried everthing from Goof Off to alcohol and nothing worked. I decide to try putting dust and starting rubbing, that worked a little better, then came MR CLEAN! It really is majic!
Thanks

myxpykalix
02-14-2009, 09:43 PM
you talking about this Mr. Clean?:

"Mr. Clean gets rid of dirt and grime and grease in just a minute,
Mr. Clean will clean your whole house and everything thats in it".....

Funny how i can't remember something from days or weeks ago but I can remember something from the 50's....