PDA

View Full Version : Need input for Letter type and source

bleeth
04-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I have a job booked and the GC has asked me to supply the signage. Part of the job is 3" x 1/4" thick and 6" x 1/2" thick block style letters on standoffs specified finish by the architect "Aluminum Finish" These letters will be mounted on our plywood panels with Formica Deco Metal finish. They are all interior. I am looking for a good Value-Engineered specification for the letters that I can buy from Signletters or someone that have an appropriate finish on the face and edges other than actual laser cut aluminum. I have 60 of the smaller size letters and 8 of the larger so coming up with a good looking alternative to genuine cut aluminum that I can specify in my quote and submit for approval would be very helpful. This is actually the first of 7 locations and would make the balance of my year so I am interested in helping the client as much as possible!! We have enough to do building the rest of each project that I dont want to get involved in finishing them myself.

chodges
04-15-2009, 08:11 AM
You can laminate your Formica to black Sintra (extruded PVC sheets) with a spray-on contact adhesive like "StickIt," then cut the letters out on your Shopbot. Sintra comes in a variety of thicknesses from 1/8" to 1" and in several primary colors (black, white, red, blue, etc.).

We do this all the time, using either plastic engraving sheets that look like real metal or countertop material that is laminated to Sintra.

robredick
04-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Laminate to mdf works great. We use Arreis because it keeps a very nice edge. Cut them face down, then lay the letters face down & spray the backs a color to match your primary color. There are some really good aluminum colors (both paint and Laminate)

With the 1/2" you should be able to use 3/16"or 1/4" allthread with a spacer. You can put holes in your tool path for for these just leave them a 1/16" shy of the face. with the 1/4" you will have to use a threaded pad that you epoxy on the backs.

bleeth
04-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been out of town and didn't see your replies until now. Other parts of the signage package I have taken on include "Punch through" signs which, of course, we will have to produce in house. For the pin mount letters buying out is the way I will go. I have found a company that has aluminum laminate on a "platinum" acrylic that sells the whole package including mounting template for less than the time and materials it would cost me in house.
I'll look for some feedback from those who have done punch through soon, as I develop the project.

bleeth
05-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Well the client has changed his mind on the pin mounts and now wants glossy white acrylic. I got a sample from Buysignletters dot com and althought they are laser cut the edges have ridges similar to runnout problems. They are to be 1/2" thick. Has anyone gotten Acrylic letters from Gemini that the polish on the edges looks as good as the face? Or any other supplier/ideas. There are a heck of a lot of these and hand polishing all is too cost prohibitive.

dakers
05-21-2009, 08:29 AM
I would ask Gemini if there is something they can do on their end to resolve the problem you see.
They do sell what they call Minnisota letters that are injection molded with smooth sides too.
this is not the vacuum formed letter.
If nothing else works the customer ma have to sign off on the reality of the situation.
Unless they want to go the Gemini Metal letters painted white.

bleeth
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Dick: Had a nice chat with Gemini yesterday afternoon. It is typical of the solid acrylic letters that they have the striation lines on the sides from the laser. It looks like Minnesota is the way to go. I have two areas and the job has 3" and 6" letters which are all supposed to be 1/2" but I don't think he'll object to the thicker size of the 6" particularluy since they go on another wall. Thanks for the suggestion-it should do the trick.

I have polished out Acrylic in the past to a gloss, and even with flame there is just too many pieces to do that with this project. At least the punch through letters can be used as cut-That will be the Bot job for both letters and aluminum field.

Dave