PDA

View Full Version : Pausing Shopbot link causes 'Z' axis to lose position.

erniek
07-30-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm using the shop bot link with a second "Z" axis to drill holes. When I press "S" to insert a commnand (sometimes I forget to set my job speed back down after re-surfacing) and resume, the cutting the Z axis loses it's setting and is up too high. Not sure if this is a bug with the link, the shopbot control program or something that I've setup wrong.

Gary Campbell
07-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Ernie...
While using the SB Link, all speeds should be according to what has been defined in Tooling and Setup. It shouldnt matter what was on the machine before the Link file runs, either as your default speeds or ones used by a previous file.

MY advice: (and I am sure this is not supported by those in Durham)

Throw away the eSTOP and remove that 30' antenna that connects it to the control box.
Use the [S] key as an estop... assume unrecoverable results..
If the file is not going to work properly, use the mouse and hit the yellow stop button on the console, adjust as your cutting file or speeds as needed and start over from the beginning.

There have been a few "glitches" reported about some of the latest versions of the SB3 software and using the "S" key, [spacebar] or eStop to stop or pause a cutting file. My guess is that this is related to the SB3 software. Make sure that you report this to SB Tech Supt with instructions on how to repeat the problem.

Gary

erniek
07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
There's a typo on my part, I meant to say that I forgot to set the Jog speed back down. I run the re-surfacing at 10 inches per second. That seems to work, but jogging at a diagonal that fast can cause it to lose position. 8 inches per second works more reliably in all cases. I suppose I should just program the change into my re-surfacing file.

ted
07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Ernest. We will check out that problem you reporting with the "S" stop. If you are not using the current software, could you send an email to 'Support' noting the version you are using so we can check it out. We don't continuously monitor the forum, so sending an email is the best way to alert us of a technical issue.

Note that the behavior of the "S"-Stop (using the 'S' key on the keyboard) should cause a gradual ramped stop and a pull-up of the Z-axis or A-axis to your designated safe Z height (set in [VC]). Think of it as a "soft" stop. You should be able to "Insert" a new speed, and when you hit "Resume" have the Z return to its previous height and continue cutting.

You get this same type of Slowed-Stop if you hit the SpaceBar, the EnterKey, or Click the StopButton on the screen, -if- the tool if moving faster than the threshold set in [VR] for a Slowed-Stop. [If you are moving below the Slowed-Stop threshold speed, the tool will instantly stop and make no further movement.]

On PRSstandard tools, you get this same stop behavior from the Remote Stop Pendant.

On PRSalpha tools, because of the higher speeds and power, the remote pendant (along with the switch on the Control Box) is a full Emergency Stop (E-Stop). Yes. This E-Stop Button fully disconnects the power! It will require a re-start and re-zeroing of all axes. But, a PRS alpha is a powerful professional/industrial machine (unlike a PRSstandard -- with a PRSalpha you can not physically stop the movement of an axis or gantry). The E-Stop is required for your safety. Do not disable it! (Please ignore Gary's suggestion above.)

Beginning with the ShopBot 3.6.x software, ShopBot Input Switches can be configured as additional Slowed-Stop switches. Configuration is done with the [VN] Command. This creates an additional Slow-Stop/Soft-Stop option for owners of either PRSalpah or PRSstandard tools.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools