PDA

View Full Version : NEW SIGN

rookie432@aol.com
02-22-2003, 11:31 AM
JUST COMPLETED PROJECT FOR DISTINGUSHED GREEK LAWYER IN THE AREA
24X30" 5/4" POPLAR WITH 23K GOLD LEAF ON COREAN
BACK COMPLETELY CARVED OUT. OH WHAT FUN!!

Sorry about the pic. its the best 25k would get me

papadaveinwy
02-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Great Job! keep it up David in Wyoming

gerald_d
02-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Great!

gerald_d
03-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Dale, leave out the spaces before the curly bracket - you can cut & paste this:

\image{some signs I have done}

This thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/1209.html?1036858380) may help you.

gerald_d
03-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Don't give up Dale - you only have a short way more to go!

Is your pic less than 25kB?
Is it in GIF or JPG format?
Is it saved on your hard-drive?

kerrazy
03-19-2003, 07:41 AM
one more time with feeling [
]

kerrazy
03-19-2003, 07:43 AM
Yeah, Thank you Gerald.
By the way, you really know that ShopBot, I have been reading your posts for a few months now and man. It is nice to see you get so in depth. Thanks.

Dale

gerald_d
03-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Yay Dale - nice signs!

papadaveinwy
03-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Dale are you enjoying the art com pro yet? as I said before nice signs, I'm about ready to e-mail you a movie on what we discussed. David in Wyoming

rcm@ritternet.com
03-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I have been ask to create a sign from a .jpg file. We are currently looking at software that will allow us to do this. I have been in touch with Grant @ Shopbot about ArtCam Ensignia & Pro, and also the Enroute3 people. Can any one tell me if I can do this sign with either of the mentioned software or if there is a better software package that will allow us to get into signs. It will measure 36" wide x 12" high.

rgbrown@itexas.net
03-20-2003, 04:18 PM
I would do it in Rhino and Vector. But, those are the progrms I have and know....

Mayo
03-20-2003, 05:28 PM
This sign could be produced at much less expense for software. The design doesn't appear to require anything beyond what a 2D or 2.5D software could produce.

It appears that the corner design repeats, so all you need to do is vectorize one corner element and then the horizontal and vertical elements which connect the corners. Then place duplicates of the one vectorized corner element (after you have cleaned it up and edited it).

You will have a significant investment in editing time on this design no matter what software you get. None of them produce perfect vectorized lines. Corners that should be sharp may be rounded, curves may have straight segments, lines may be joined which should be separated, etc.

You should try and get demo copies of sign making software or vectorizing software, try them out and go with what you find to be the easiest and quickest and within your budget.

You will have to decide what level of accuracy will be acceptable for this sign, based on the viewing distance and the expectations of the customer. This level of accuracy in the finished sign will result from a combination of the precision of the software and your editing time.

The quality of the original .jpg file is also an issue.

Also, the lines appear to be so close to each other that I can't imagine you engraving them more than 1/16" deep (with a v-bit) before you begin to run into the adjacent lines.

Unless you intended to do a lot of 3D work on other signs, I wouldn't invest that much for software. There's certainly plenty of less costly choices which will allow you to engrave or cut 2D or 2.5D sign work.

I'm not trying to cause a lost sale for Shopbot, but you might not need to get a Humvee if a jeep will do the same job.

rcm
03-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks Mayo,
After I posted this, I spoke with the Lady that is requesting the sign and now she says that it does NOT have to be exactly like the picture. Only software that we have is what come with the shopbot ((vectorcad)which I have not mastered), turbocad designer, and Desk Engrave. I could do the lettering from Desk Engrave, but I am at a brickwall on how to do the bordering with what I have and she would like it tomorrow afternoon!!!! (Imagine that!!!!)

Thanks again

papadaveinwy
03-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Is this on a card or do you have a larger piece? The reason is that if you scan it into your computer then save as a bitmap you can clean it up fairly easy as long as the background is white. Then remove the lettering and run it in as a tiff at about -.05 then run a deeper cut for the letters on a different cut file. a little tricky but I have done it in the past. David in Wyoming P.S. to do this you have to do it on light colored wood like Maple.

dands50@hotmail.com
03-20-2003, 07:28 PM
RCM E-mail me a a good copy of this so I can compare it to some of the vector files I have and if I have Somethig close I will send it to you as a dxf. and I will trace the letters for you also. Infact if I have somthing close I'll send you a dxf of the whole sign. David in Wyoming PS send it tonight to dands50@hotmail.com (mailto:dands50@hotmail.com)

jumbaugh
06-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Have a friend who needs a sign (Not the thing I do) discrip as follows: Graphic of James A Garfield (can furnish jpg)then the following text
line one: James A. Garfield
Line two: was Chaplin of the
Line three: Garrettsville Lodge 246, F.A.&M.
Line four: (date)______1887 to (date)_________1899
END OF TEXT
They would like this on one side for a plaque to me mounted on brick surface exterior, and should resemble a bronze plaque.

Not a big deal, but a nice piece of work for someone who works in these areas.

stickman
06-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Jim,

This might be a sign for our good pal Dale. Look at little further up the page at some of his work.

He'd be the guy I'd look to.

wendell
10-27-2004, 08:18 PM
I need a product like MDF that is waterproof.
I made yard signs for my school a few years ago and used MDO, a plywood product. We did way too much sanding.

IDEAS???

richards
10-27-2004, 08:39 PM
You might try Medex, a product that looks and cuts like MDF. It's used a lot for traffic control signs. I made several neighborhood signs, pre-shopbot, that have withstood weather in all four seasons.

If I remember right, Medex cost $45 - $50 per 49 x 97 panel (1/2-inch thick). Here in Utah, it's available from National Wood Products.