PDA

View Full Version : 3D Full Sized soon to be finished

joe
05-18-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/315/31152.html?1212195768

Over the past year I've posted the progress of some world class router and finishing work done by my next door neighbors, Synopsys.

I wondered over today and caught a glimpse of the final stages of this larger than life sculpture being finished up. Steve is putting on the finishing touches of the eagle. The final size of this work is approx 22 feet high and about he same in length.

It's being sliced apart now, getting ready for Bronze casting.

The cores are made from 3lb HDU. Most of it was routed on an old Thermwood and a home made vertical router. Once all the slices are put together, Steve sprays a warm coat of modeling clay over the armature. Then the artists come in to give it the final textures and refined shapes.

You can see how the artists has cut off the hand of the female aviator.

I'll post a phot, in a few days, of the complete model. Should have done this first.

I feel ever so greatful work with such skilled and nice people. Everyone works seven days a week. Coming and going all the time.

Joe

sailfl
05-19-2009, 05:40 AM
That is some beautiful work!

mmccue29
05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Wow!!!!
Nice very Nice
Joe did you say 3 lb HDU or did you mean 30lb?

joe
05-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Michael,

I'm very poor at typing and make lots of mistakes but no this is 3lb.

The bits used for this kind of work must be very long. 8" to 12"s in legnth. Most are 3/8"X 1/2" in diameter. The stepover isnt' important either. There is some bit flex but not enough to hinder the artists final rendition.

What your're seeing here ends up sacrificed so there isn't any need for a heavy core.

Now, the state of the art is to scan a small model, enlarge, and router it out. A few years ago the process was chicken wire wound around steel, covered with paper machee. This was slow and difficult work. Were talking only four or five years ago. That's how fast things are moving in this country.

Isn't this a great place to live?

I'll see if I can post a photo or two of the little model they started with.

khaos
05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Joe I'd love to see some of the sliced parts. I am trying to get my head wrapped around the technique used. Like the eagle head, is that just pancaked up? Or are the layers vertical?