PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer signs

ernie_balch
03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
here are a couple of small signs we made.

sawkerf
03-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Very nice!

jhicks
03-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Nice design and quality workmanship Ernie. Love your web site and level of dimensional elements you incorporate.
From the looks of the designs I'm assuming you have the entire town sold on your design and seaside scallop shell accents. Super!
Must be a nice look in town.Makes me want to visit wherever it is.Not to see the doctor or lawyers office though.

ckurak
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Ernie,

I really like the design layout AND execution. Easy to read.

Nice job,

Charles

ernie_balch
03-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Here is the shell detail. We combined the cut3d toolpath with the Vcarve toolpaths and cut the whole job from one piece. Previously we would have cut the shells first then glued in place.

In the interest of full disclosure Diane designed and painted the sign and Web set up the files and cut it out. But, I posted it to take all the credit! ;^)

jhicks
03-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Ernie, Now I'm really curious. You cut it from a single sheet OK, I agree we would cut pieces, paint them, and attach borders and raised elements to define painted areas with crisp edges between colors.
SOOOO please tell me how you painted all the elements and maintained crisp edges and color separations. Pretty steady hands, interesting masking techniques, or some other method?

ernie_balch
03-08-2008, 08:21 AM
This is Diane, Ernie's wife. I prepaint the entire surface 1 color, then mask it with Avery White paint mask. Route all elements through the paint mask. Then any routed area gets primed and painted. For the shell area I painted the shell first, then the black using a small liner brush. Painted 2 coats of each color. At the same time I primed and painted the white letters, tan border and and the grey areas. Then I peeled the paint mask and painted the burgundy with a 1/4" wide lettering brush, for the top surface and a 1" foamie for the sides.

jhicks
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks Diane, thats the technique we generally use as well when in a single piece but have really grown to like the applique which allows all components to be separetely finished and assembled.
Both work but I dont have the steady hand you do.

jhicks
03-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks, good technique and a steady hand makes all the difference.