PDA

View Full Version : More sign material and mounting questions

denver
08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't usually do signs, but I've recently been asked to make estimates for three carved signs. Sizes are 23"x30", 66"x17", and 60"x24". The 66x17 will be wall mounted, the other two hang. The 23x30 is double sided, the other two are one side. I'm not going to be doing the installs. Someone else is doing the designs. All I have to do is the carving and painting. And I get to pick the materials. All three signs are outside.

I'm thinking of using 15# signfoam. According to what I've read, it's fairly easy to work with, paints well, and is a good choice for outdoor applications. Each sign consists mainly of a raised border and raised lettering, although the border on one is fairly complicated. I'm planning on doing this basically by making a 0.2" deep pocket around all the letters inside the border(s). That would leave 0.35" of material in the center of the double sided sign if I use 3/4" material, and 0.55" for the others.

Here are my questions:
1. Is signfoam still a good choice for a hanging sign? I don't want to make something that can't be installed.

2. Is 3/4" material adequate for these sizes?

3. Is 15# material adequate for these?

I know, you probably need more information. Let me know what additional information is necessary and I'll do my best to supply it.

Thanks,

Denver

zeykr
08-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm no pro either, but signfoam is easy to work with and holds up well. The pro's may well suggest that you use dibond or something as a backer, especially on the larger signs to provide rigidity and a method to attach to wall or hangers. The double sided I'd probably cut a little deeper and use 2 seperate pieces of sign foam with a piece of dibond betweent them to attach my hangers to. If you go with cutting a single piece on two sides, you might look at 1" signfoam instead of the 3/4. Around here at least, the 1" is easier to get than 3/4".