PDA

View Full Version : Going to

ken_rychlik
02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I am going to jump back into the fire. I have decided to hang on the link and beat my head against the wall some more.

Kenneth

Gary Campbell
02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I figured it would take just a few days of hand drawing parts in a Cad/Cam software to get you back! Welcome back! We were already starting to miss you!
Gary

thewoodcrafter
02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I can't see taking 1 step forward and 2 steps backward.

Now lets get the Link working right for you.

Like I told you the work I put into getting my system working was well worth the time spent.
Part of that process was tracking exactly what was going on and documenting what the changes I made did. The files I got from Gary needed a little tweaking to work on my machine. The files ShopBot now provides are supposed to work as is.
Your system only has 1 spindle and should not be that hard to get working.

ken_rychlik
02-07-2010, 01:35 PM
A lot of it has to do with not wanting to give up the way I build my cabinets.

I really like the way it will adjust feed speed for smaller parts and things like that.

I am going back to Garys files for now.

I looked at a vectric Vcarve tool change file and it had 6 lines of info. The stuff in the new bot sofware has well over 300 lines of info and send the system to many sub files. I know they are trying to make one file that will work on all systems, but that seems way to complicated.

I am going to work on a side block to zero to the bed for tool changes. I have some dados that are only .1 inch deep and need a down spiral bit for that. Other dados are deeper and for the cutouts I would prefer to use a compression cutter.

As much as I don't want to, I am going to have to learn more about zshift, and custom tool change files.

Kenneth

thewoodcrafter
02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
I did change my building techniques a little when I started cutting with the Link just to make things faster and easier to assemble.

One of the biggest things was limiting the flip operations. I design to minimize that.
All dados are set to a depth so that my mortising compression bit will not chip.
I have 2 bits for everything. 5mm drill and a 1/4" mortising compression bit. I would change to a 3/8" bit except I capture 1/4" backs in my cabinets and need the 1/4" bit for that.

So don't dig your heals in. Look how small changes make the biggest difference in time saved like not having a bit change.

navigator7
02-07-2010, 02:02 PM
What is this Link you guys are talking about?

Like TurboTax or something?

thewoodcrafter
02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
The ShopBot Link is an interface or CAM to enable cutting Thermwoods E-Cabinet software files on a ShopBot.

navigator7
02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks Roger,!
What I don't understand what makes it so special?
Not making a disparaging remark.
I just don't get it?

Does this affect users who don't own CAD software?
What type of user base would this affect positively?

thewoodcrafter
02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
This software is pretty much for professional cabinet makers.

When the Link was released last year it enabled cabinet makers to use Thermwoods exclusive e-Cabinets software to cut cabinets on a ShopBot. At $1295 it was/is revolutionary. The closest thing is KCD at $12000. Other than that we didn't have software to cut cabinets on a ShopBot.

nat_wheatley
02-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Chuck,

Here's an explanation from Shopbot's site:

http://shopbottools.com/teds_report.htm#eCabinets!

(You'll need to cut and paste this link, the exclamation point at the end needs to be included.)

Gary Campbell
02-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Kenneth...
Some clarification for you....

1st on the Toolchanger files.

You mention the lines from a Vectric post. They look like this:

Those lines, which are Custom Cut callups, actually run a subfile. They will run the exact same files as what is required for the Link.

IF you use my files, each "C#" file runs direct. I save these in the custom files because they dont get updated with each software upgrade. IF you use the SB files the "C#" calls up the proper file (MTCon, MTCoff or MTC. SB does this this way so that they can upgrade or repair these for all users each time the SB3 software is installed. When you had a single tool and didnt require a bit change little or nothing has to happen between operations, so little or nothing is needed in the files.

The code output from a toolchanger postP or from the link is exactly the same. C6 is on, C7 is off and the C9 changes heads and offsets in a MTC machine. In an ATC machine the C9 actually does a toolholder change and applies bit offsets.

There may be some fine points of difference, but the real deal is that the SB files and mine do exactly the same. They may have a different number of lines of code, but mine only work on the one machine they were written for. Very few of mine even worked until the operator modified it to suit their machine. This is the reason SB has their files larger. They should work on all machines large or small, imperial or metric, PRT or PRS.

Their files, like mine, will most likely have some bugs. Like mine, they need people with different machines to test them. Like mine, they can be modified to do whatever you need. Ryan has already shown this with the ability to change the zero location from top of material to the bed. I am sure that as more people use them they will change to reflect the wishes of the users, just like all the other SB software has.

You mention that you dont want to change how you build your cabinets. None of us do. But I bet that as we add more tools and capability the way we want to build them does change. Not all software can accomodate all methods of construction. However, most software has followed the needs of its user base. That said, software that is designed for CNC may not accomodate methods that were only done manually. In most cases a slightly modified, but easier to program and machine, version has replaced it. Most find that little concession has to be made to adapt to the available methods.

It is my guess that every eCabs SB Link user has changed how they build cabinets since implementing the software. I will also bet that they now can make a better fitting, closer tolerance box with more complicated joinery. I will also guess that they do this in less than half the time that they previously did. Dont forget the learning curve. And above all, dont fight the software. IF it can do it, you can learn it. If it doesnt do it, you cant make it.
Gary

navigator7
02-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Nat!

I see! The software is far more than just cutting line.
It sorta processes customers orders like a BOM file.

Ok...I get it.

It does sound like a bonus for a pro cabinet shop.!