PDA

View Full Version : Gilding and Latex Paint

bpfohler
06-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I read some previous post about guilding by J.C. (no, not that one-Joe Crumley) and he mentioned when guilding you need to leave the mask on when the sign is painted with enamel.
Does that mean size will not adhere to laxtex?

joe
06-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Robert,

I didn't mean to suggest Gold Size can't be used on latex. Lettering enamels have been the standard because they flow out so well with a brush but Latex will work just fine. MACK Brushes are now making and selling lettering brushes made for latex. The trick is to have the surface very smooth so the gold will have a good sheen.

When applying Gold Size to V Carved letters it's best to have a good quill and thin the size down so she flows out like warm butter. If the size is too thin however, you'll get puddeling down in the well of the letter. That causes a drowning of the gold. Which means the letter bottoms will be dull and unattractive, like while the shoulders, sides, will be bright.

Joe Crmley
www.normnsignco.com (http://www.normnsignco.com)

dakers
06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Robert, i read a book about sign gilding back in the 70's that said to touch your knuckle to the size and it should be tacky but no size should be on your knuckle. I have made all the mistakes Joe says not to make in making signs.