PDA

View Full Version : Zolatone Industrial Coatings for Sign Making

tuck
04-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Zolatone 20 Series has been around for a long time but many folks have never heard of it. It is formulated for marine, industrial and automotive use, but I have used it extensively in my sign business with terrific results.

http://www.zolatoneaim.com/z20_1.html

One common application I've done a lot of is to spray the darker colors it on white 3/4" Kometex (sheet PVC) plaques and then v-carved my copy/graphics and I'm finished. You can also do that with the lighter colors on black PVC and get the same sharp & striking results, no masking necessary. I've used it for backgroung color on routed HDU and have sprayed MDO panels with it as well.

When properly primed and applied, it is 100% waterproof. This may work well for some of you guys that make MDF signs for exterior use. It should last longer than even the most expensive paints available. It's a "coating", not a "paint".

You need a "pressure pot" or "paint tank" to spray it. Further details about that as well as compressor requirements are on the web site. I bought a new 2 gallon pot with hose, gun and a 2mm fluid nozzle on eBay for about $120.00 and it works fine. Some of the spray systems they (Zolatone) recommend can cost $800.00 or more.

Zolatone ain't cheap. It's about $85.00 a gallon and the primer they recommend is almost that much, although one of their rep's told me that you can use any GOOD primer. Just tint it accordingly as to the Zolatone color you're using.(See web site.) You can't buy Zolatone just anywhere. You have to contact a Zolatone rep and find out where you can order it from locally.(Usually an automotive paint supply store.) The web site has where you can order a free catalog.

It sounds like a lot of trouble, but this is high-end stuff and can help add that "special something" to your signs that helps set your work apart.

Just thought I'd "share". ;-)

rookie432
04-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the hot tip Mark. This is especially interesting for the pvc application. I've been on the hunt for some new coatings.

Bill

tim_whitcher
04-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi Mark,
Any examples? Love to see them.

tuck
04-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Tim, see my reply @ Letterville.

joe
04-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Tim,

He doesn't have any examples.