PDA

View Full Version : First dump link question

ken_rychlik
12-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I am trying to get past the nest area without error messages. I think I have a tool entered in tooling that should perform the rout/dado, but when I try to nest it tells me it can't find the tool for the dados.

I'm sure it's easy, but I'm stummped on such an easy part.

Kenneth

dlcw
12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Kenneth,

Basically SB Link is not finding a tool it can use to complete the operation you need done.

The tooling setup can be a bit of a challenge until you figure out how it works. SB Link picks the first bit in the tool list that can complete the operation needed. If you don't have a bit small enough to do the operation it will give you an error. I've set my tool list up as follows. I use groups for different types of material so ignore that part until you get your default working.

Tool # Bit
11 3/8" compression (outline cutting)
12 3/8" down spiral (mortise/dado)
13 1/4" down spiral (mortise/dado)
14 3/16" down spiral (mortise/dado)
31 1/4" drill in the air drill

This is my default tool database. Tools 12-14 are all set up to be routing/dadoing bits where tool 11 is just an outline cutting bit. Now here's the catch, in the settings dialog you will notice there is a spot to enter a dadoing bit. It's in the lower left corner of the dialog box. This bit diameter needs to match one of the bits in your tool database for things to work properly. Once I had this figured out things worked well. Make sure the diameters your enter for your bits are exact. This will effect mortise and tenon joinery significantly.

Hope this helps.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

ken_rychlik
12-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm still scratching my head.

I have just one .25 bit and one router.

I have .25 in the settings for the dados

What does the operation number mean and does it matter?

The feed speeds are not working either. It screams across the table and locks up with loosing comm from going to fast. I'm just trying to get past doing an air cut for the moment.

I put end in the c6 c7 and c9 like the directions told me but that didn't seem to help.

The good news is the sb3.6.11 seems to be working withouth a hitch "so far".

Thanks.

Kenneth

thewoodcrafter
12-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Kenneth,

Make sure your dados are not smaller than the bit.
With 1/4" material and a 1/4" bit you will be O.K. if you have a tolerance set up in E-Cabinets. This gets added to the dado cut width. But 3/16 back material will not cut with a 1/4" bit.

thewoodcrafter
12-06-2009, 12:41 PM
You need to number the bits for the Link the keep track of them.

Jog speed is what ever you have setup in the control software. Move speed is what you have setup for each tool.
The set up screen will lower these based on the part sizes you tell it.

Glad to here 3.6.11 works.

dlcw
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I have one spindle, but lots of bits. These all get processed using what is called a manual tool change operation. This is your C9 file. I will email you my C6, C7 and C9 and if you want we can talk on the phone and I can walk you thru these.

An operation number lets you add different sized bits in to your tool database. Look at like Partworks. You have a tool database of bits you can choose from. It's the same in Link. The difference is bit changes are done on the fly in the Link when you are prompted to change to a different bit.

Also, remember that the cutting speeds displayed in the Link are in inches per minute, not inches per second. So just convert IPM to IPS by dividing by 60. My normal cutting speeds are around 240 to 360 IPM. This converts to 4 to 6 inches per second. My comfort speed with my setup is 4 to 7IPS depending on the material and size of parts I'm cutting. Your mileage will vary on this.

Don

ken_rychlik
12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys.

I had multiple issues. Some of the dados were smaller than the bit.

I had Gary call me and talked me trough some C9 info. Something about a Zshift. The manual said I could run end in all the c 6,7,and 9, but that didn't fly.

I am up to having a file air cutting so thats big progress. lol

Kenneth

dlcw
12-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Gary is THE MAN!

Glad you are doing some air cutting successfully.

I'll hold off sending you my files.

Don

ken_rychlik
12-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Don, I don't know how yours is set up. I would like to see the C files from anyone running a single router machine.

Roger, there was some assembly marks that were set with a very small bit. Those threw me off. Also the back is .2 thickness. I am putting .3 for a thickness with a .1 negative back offset to see if that will cut.

More dumb questions to follow. lol

Thanks

Kenneth

thewoodcrafter
12-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Kenneth,

What are you using for clearance numbers for your parts?

A 3/4" thick panel will not fit in a 3/4" dado.

Your back numbers will make it a sloppy fit. If you set the backs to .24 thick and have a clearance of .020 you should be able to use a .25 bit to cut it without errors.

ken_rychlik
12-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Roger,

I have not even gotten close to making something fit together. I will start working on those clearance settings soon though.

I am trying to make a .2 rabbet on the back of the cabinet and cut it with a .25 bit.

(I can do this in vcarve pro by running the pcket off of the edge of the sheet).

I would rather not have the rabbet at .25 if I can help it and I don't want to change bits.

My work around with a thicker back and negative back offset didn't do it.

I have it posted on the ecab site also.

Kenneth

thewoodcrafter
12-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Kenneth,

You can't use negative offset to change the size of the dado.
It will move it.
No way to make a .2 rabbet or dado with a .25 bit, can't be done.

Gary Campbell
12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Kenneth...
You will need to make sure that your back plywood is listed as .25 thick. Set side clearance to zero. Set a negative inset of .050 on the back panel. This will give you a .2 deep rabbet. You will not be able to enter actual material thickness for your backs. You WILL have to adjust the inset for the actual thickness of your back material.
Hope this helps, Gary

ken_rychlik
12-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Gary, or GURU as it may be.

I tried with a .3 back and a negative .1 inset, but after nesting it would not allow it with a .25 bit. I didn't try and cut the part though. I just looked at the nest settings

I will try with .25 but don't have much hope.

Are you saying ignore it when it tells me it can't find the right size bit for the cut??

Kenneth

Gary Campbell
12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Kenneth...
No, just Gary
What is the thickness you have entered for the back plywood? It cannot be less then the .25 bit.

Sometimes you have to trick the software. If software didnt want to be tricked, it would be hardware.
Gary

Gary Campbell
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Kenneth...
I retract, I just ran this thru eCabs and into a nest and the rabbet is returned the correct size, but the software will not allow cutting off the part like some others. My mistake, will find a workaround for you.

If you do this often, you might look for a slightly different material. You can assume that you cannot cut any dado or rabbet for a material that is smaller than the bit you are planning to use.

I have eliminated our 1/4" backs and have gone to 1/2". Price difference is little or nothing and it allowed me to use a 3/8 bit for most everything but the drills.
Gary

ken_rychlik
12-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Trickery didn't work. The file ran without cutting the back rabbets at all with Gary's setting suggestion. I think Roger may be correct here, but I was looking for a work around.

I got the first pile of firewood fresh of the machine. lol

Gary Campbell
12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Kenneth...
You are now officially 26 sheets and about 1000 hrs behind. I can wait for you to catch up. Call if you need anything.
Gary

erniek
12-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I make my backs from the same material as the rest of the cabinet. Makes for less waste. Most of my cabinets are made of 5/8" melamine so that's cheaper than 1/2" around here so it's a win all around.

ken_rychlik
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Earnest, you must have a good strong back. lol

Kenneth