PDA

View Full Version : REAL sandblaste look

woodworx
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Looking for a way to give a sign a real sandblasted look. The problem is even with P.W.'s texture feature, the edges of the raised letters will be tarnished by the spinning bit. Any suggestions. ACPRO, or will Partworks work for this kind of application? Any pictures?

zeykr
10-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Mask, then carve it. Let the router do the deep pocketing, then hit lightly with sandblaster just to give sandblast look.

garyb
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Justin, check through this thread below http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/315/34432.html?1222612525
The file I created for the workshop (beckwith studio) has a sandblasted texture background.
Joe had a piece of sandblasted cedar in his showroom which I took a photo of then created the texture in ACPro.
You will find a number of photos of this piece as it's being finished under Bruce's flicker link and Pat's photo link in the same thread.

Of course creating and cutting the file was the easy part it was Joe's outstanding finish that brought it to life.

rcnewcomb
10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
quote:the edges of the raised letters will be tarnished by the spinning bit
You can create an offset around your leters so the texture toolpath doesn't crash into them. Check out this link (the%20edges%20of%20the%20raised%20letters%20will% 20be%20tarnished%20by%20the%20spinning%20bit) in the Vectric forum

john_l
10-31-2008, 12:04 PM
If your design will allow... You can also just texture the whole area behind the letters and graphical elements and then pocket out and insert seperately cut items into these pockets.

jamesgilliam
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
quote:
the edges of the raised letters will be tarnished by the spinning bit

Like Randall I have always used an offset around the graphics and text. Don't forget to offset the outside bounding box or you will have to do a cleanup toolpath on it to. Don't ask!

woodworx
11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I found that P.W. texture does a nice job using a 60 degree v bit. Make the cuts long and shallow, using a small stepover. I am going to pocket the letters and insert them after I am done cutting. I am getting a lot of "fuzz" in between the cuts. I will try high speed wire brush attachment on the drill to see if I can clean them up.

mikeacg
11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Justin,

I just got a job from a buddy at a local sign shop for handicapped signs which sound just like what you are trying to do. Speed is important so I didn't want to change bits and went with the 60 degree v bit for everything. They are more interested in the depth for ease of painting than the actual texture so I did a 1/8" profile cut around the border and around the letters. Then, instead of texturing, I did a pocket 1/4" deep, raster with a 20% step-over and came up with a pretty passable substitute for sandblasting. I can do a 6x12 in just over 11 minutes and the 12x18" ones in 33:15. Worth looking at if you need something quick and easy...
Mike

woodworx
11-02-2008, 07:09 PM
nice work. I like your thinking...JR