PDA

View Full Version : Large hdu letters

dakers
07-25-2009, 10:12 AM
This sign we desgined and made using approx. 12'' to 36'' tall hdu letters that were rounded on the router.
We used to burn up a router motor every year. The letters are gold leaf and because of the rounding they reflect light in all directions.

My son has the gift of sales and is able to help business owners see the value of getting noticed.
I do not have the sales gift. sometimes it does take a team

navigator7
10-26-2009, 09:13 AM
@ Dick,
The gift of sales means everybody gets what they want.
You get a job, Mulligans gets a sign to attract business and it's customers undoubtably get value inside.
Sales, when done properly, is a thing of beauty...just like your sign above.
I see you capitalized on the colors.

dakers
10-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Chuck,
i do not seem to have the gift of sales like my son. i have the gift of giving people so many options their eyes glaze over. i need to correct that. have to wear so many hats and there are so many learning curves and the tires that hold my brain to the road are squeeling as i go around the learning curves. thanks for you kind words.

joe
10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Good looking work Dick. Gilding of round over letters are time comsuming. I really like the letter style. Broad stroke letters like are very visable.

Give your son my complements.

fredtoo
10-26-2009, 07:20 PM
My boss/significant other/best friend is VERY fast at gold leafing. She uses gold/yellow oil based paint generally the night before and does the gold leaf in the morning. She checks the tackiness (her secret) before leafing.

joe
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Greg,

There are so many good techniques with the application of size I can't remember them all. But for the bigener it's the trick to know the correct time to begin. It's not really that difficult buy a guding hand shortcuts the process. You can't rush it.

The traditional undercoat is imitation gold, usually Oneshot yellow with a little brown added in to give a mustard color. This hides hollidays known as void. I was shown some work by an old gold expert and he used virmelion red as the undercoat and letting the flaws jump out as an antique effect. It was so beautiful.

I prefer using the airbrush to apply slow size. It goes on more evenly that brushing. The finish is very predictable.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

john_l
10-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Joe, I am sure it works well on a masked, V carved sign, but is it possible to apply size with an airbrush right to the edge of a raised letter (as on a blasted sign)?

cncworld
10-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi, I agree, very nice.... can you share the round over trick with the prismatic style copy?

Russ

joe
10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
You fellows are correct. What I was referring to were the letters used on Mulligan's. Which are carved, gilded and then applied.

On smaller sandblasted or routed panels a brush is the correct tool.

With larger rounded over or prismatic letters I prefer to use glass gold, (Free Gold). You can drape it over the contures. Patent is a little harder to get down on the edges and in the recesses. And applying free gold is twice as fast and gives a much smoother gild.

Another advantage to airbrushing sizing V letters is it doesn't have as much a tendancy to puddle down in the well of the letter.

Joe

bob_s
10-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Joe;
What is "glass gold" or Free Gold? I just spent ten minutes with Google and obviously found absolutely nothing useful!
thanks
Bob

joewino
10-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Glass gold is a loose leaf that normally is applied to the inside of glass. It is usually 23k gold.

Patent Leaf is the same gold leaf but attached to a thin sheet of paper with rouge. It is used mainly for surface guilding or in windy situations.

For me, it is easier to gild on a surface with patent rather than loose (free) gold because it is easier to control...but that's just me.

joe
10-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Bob,

Like Raymond says, patent gold is lightly attached to a paper, and doesn't require much skill to apply. Glass Gold comes in exactly the same way except it's picked up with a wide thin brush know as a gilders tip and applied to the surface. There can't be any drafts when using this technique.

If your interested in some of these products a vist to www.letterheadsignsupply.com (http://www.letterheadsignsupply.com) might be in order

Joe

bob_s
10-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys

"and doesn't require much skill to apply" .... IF only this was true ...

but I am gonna try this gilding stuff when I get the chance, I love the way it looks.
Bob

joewino
10-27-2009, 05:29 PM
"and doesn't require much skill to apply"

Hey...Joe does it, how hard could it be?

joe
10-27-2009, 06:15 PM
I learned every thing I know from Raymond, when I was just a sprout.

Joe

joewino
10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
And you learned well, my friend. You make an old man proud. But, how is it that you look so much older than me?

ray_skaines
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
"and doesn't require much skill to apply"!?!

Then why isn't everybody doing it?

Nice work, Dick.

joe
11-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Ray,

Are you having trouble gilding?

I honestly think I could teach a 6 year old child to lay patent gold in five minutes flat.

One reason there isn't more gilding is the cost along with the misteque that it's a difficult voo-doo magic process.

Looks like it's about time to have some "Hands On" gilding at one of the camps.

Joe

joewino
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Sounds like another "Ka-Ching" for Dr. Crumley.