PDA

View Full Version : Extira - paint peeling

diane
03-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I was just looking at an old thread on paint peeling on extera. No one mentioned what they do after sanding but before painting. I use HDU, and everytime before painting I sand it (220 grit), vacuum off the dust, then use a compressor and blow the dust off, then tack cloth it. I use avery white paint mask . The only time I did not blow off the dust before applying the One shot to the primer, the One shot paint peeled off when I removed the paint mask. Another thing to consider is the oils from your hands. If you are handling the sign a lot without wearing gloves, the oils can get on the paint and make it harder for the next coat of paint to stick. (Ask me how I know)

Add Your Message Here
tuck
03-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Ok, I'm game. How do you know?

gene
03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
I was using mdf for some doors and had the paint to peal like you are talking about . Of course i was at a loss for why this happened so on the phone to my paint rep and all we could come up with is that i sanded too fine for 1 paint to adhear to the next coat. I was using lacquer and i also let the primer dry over the weekend. I dont know if this was B.S. or not but it has not happened again luckily.... This is something to think on.