PDA

View Full Version : Quick help needed for 10 signs

ed_lang
08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I need to quickly make 10 signs that will be two color. Blue and Yellow. The text and graphic will be V-carved and the V-Carving needs to be Yellow with the surface, edges and back Blue.

I have limited materials available but hope to use MDF for the substrate and Latex paint for the color.

I am thinking the quickest process will be to paint the MDF, apply a paint mask, machine, spray or brush the Yellow and remove the mask.

If I use a paint mask, which one and where to get it?

Any suggestions?

I live about 60 miles West of Richmond VA and do not have any paint mask at my shop so this will need to be gotten tomorrow if possible.

The signs will be marking reserved parking spots for the sports season at a local High School. I am not charging for these signs, but still want a good job and something that will last this year without falling apart.

All suggestions and guidance is welcome.

I have looked at the thread next to this one about paint mask.

Ed

mikejohn
08-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Ed
There are many messages on the Forum covering this subject, with many differing answers.
I have made literally hundreds of blue signs with white lettering using primed and enamel painted MDF.
The vast majority of these signs are on outside walls open to the rain, wind, snow and temperatures from -20ºC to 40ºC, and none show any sign of deterioration.
We prime and paint a board which is 6-up signs.
We use household sticky backed plastic as our mask.
After cutting we hand paint the letters and edges white.
We leave to get thoroughly dry, then peel.
We had one disaster when we painted with paint that had been left outside in mid-winter, probably -20ºC, and the store guy didnt bother to tell us!
Apart from that, and very occasionaly 2mm or 3mm touch up spots, we have no problems.
This is my experience, I know others have had different experiences.

..............Mike

jhicks
08-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Ed, Check the posts on color core, polytone, signboard etc. These polyethelyne materials are ideal (in our opinion) for quick and maintainance free 2 color carved signs. You buy sheet stock in 4' x 8' panels 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4" thick,(about $170.00 per sheet in 1/2"). In the right 2 color combination ie: Blue outer skin, Yellow Inner core" and simply carve away through the color surface into the core revealing the yellow letters. There are a few tricks to working with it and V carves may need a small .062 or .125 inside profile cut in the narrow V serifs to get down to the color but it can be worked out. The color skin is approximately 10% of total thickness.
Good news is, no painting, lasts forever in all weather, and you can cut and deliver the same or next day.Bad news is nothing sticks to it so mechanical mounting is required.
Painting on MDF or Medex will certainly work but for us, the finishing isn't always the right answer and customers appreciate the low maintainance and good look for this type of sign at a modest price below painted wood or HDU products.TRhese sell for around $65.00 to $70.00/ sq ft in 3/4" or $55.00 to $60.00 in 1/2" depending on art and design requirements for cut time seems to be a good starting point for us. Need right bits for area clear not your normal end mill but with small radius corners to reduce mill marks.
Good luck and check this stuff out for future use. I think you'll find it serves certain types of signs and margin well. Good Luck

ed_lang
08-17-2006, 10:28 PM
UPDATE.

Sigs are going great.

Exteria is substrate
Primer is BIN
Spray yellow in vcarving logo and text
roller used to apply blue background.

Everything is looking great and pictures to follow.

Thanks for suggestions and offers.

ed_lang
08-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Here is a link to one of the signs. I feel one more coat of blue and some touch up and it will be ready to go.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/89139435-M.jpg

Here is another one I did this week. Solid Oak as requested.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/89139449-M.jpg

Suggestions always welcome.

Ed

andyb
08-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey Ed,
The signs look good. What is the size of the oak sign?

Andy B.

ed_lang
08-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi Andy!

If I recall, it is 18" high and 24" wide. Per customers specs.

I delivered it today and they were happy.

Material was 7/8" thick. I did an area clear down .25" and then v-carved from there.

I would love to hear what others think about pricing on this white oak sign. How much should it bring retail? I'll tell you later how much I sold it for..... just not yet.

Also I am trying to figure out how to price these signs.... by the square inch or just a guess.... This is the hard part of the business.

Thanks Everyone

joe
08-21-2006, 03:02 PM
When in doubt about pricing, there are a couple of standards.

First go on line and find a few companys who do that kind of signage and see how they price it.

The second is time and materials. If you did this type of work every day, how much would you have to charge in order to support the family and shop?

Carved sign bring pretty good money when done right. We charge from $100-150 per square foot.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)