PDA

View Full Version : Sign material choice

coach
04-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I was asked to v carve a sign for an apartment entrance.
I was thinking MDO but what do I know.
What would be some inexpensive materials?
Going to be a painted sign outside.
Thanks for any input.

joewino
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
You'll first have to explain "inexpensive".

In my opinion, MDO would not be a good choice. You are opening up a lot of areas for moisture to get in, even if it is painted.

I would use HDU.

I would also consider using what is best for the situation, rather than what is the less expensive. The best materials result in a longer lasting and more attractive sign...which means you look better and have a more attractive reputation - and you last longer in the business.

jamesgilliam
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I would have to second Raymond's choice of HDU. I tell my customers that I will come back within three years from the install date and do touch up painting on the sign if something fails in the paint or materials. Not included in this are natural disasters, fire, or vandalism. With the use of HDU and good paint I have never been called back.

coach
04-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys,,,,,,next question. Is HDU the same as sign board? I have been doing some 3D for a guy that brings me what he calls 15 pound sign board. What thickness would you suggest for an exterior sign here in Florida?
Thanks again.
David

donchapman
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
I did a budget sign for a friend using MDO and had to replace it 2 years later with an HDU sign because the MDO rotted from too frequent landscape watering. I had followed all the precautions about double priming and painting the edges of the MDO and it still failed. It is false economy to use anything less than the best material for the job.

jamesgilliam
04-21-2009, 07:27 PM
David, Sign board, signfoam, precision board and Corafoam are all HDU material. I would probably go with 1 1/2" thick and back it with something like Dibond or Poly Metal depending o the size of the sign.

joewino
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Sign Board is a broad term and may mean different things to different people.

HDU is High Density Urethane and is a dense foam material. I've never heard it referred to as Sign Board.

MDO is Medium Density Overlay and is a plywood type material with a coating on both sides (or just one in some cases). I've hear it referred to as Sign Board.

donchapman
04-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Also be careful to understand that MDO is not MDF. I still sometimes make the mistake of saying one when I mean the other.

MDO is a moderate cost medium density exterior grade plywood overlayed with a resin impregnated paper that makes a smooth surface for sign painting and is what is most often used for economical exterior signs usually with painted backgrounds and applied vinyl lettering and graphics.

MDF is inexpensive medium density fiberboard which is fine for interior uses but which I would never use for any exterior sign.

MDO is found at sign supply companies and some specialty plywood dealers but usually not at the big box stores.

MDF is commonly available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

MDF can be routed for interior dimensional signs, but I would not rout MDO for dimensional signs because it would expose the plywood layers.

HDU is the all around best material for routed dimensional exterior signs which will have a painted finish.