PDA

View Full Version : Sign cutting speed

hfmillwork@hotmail.com
12-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Hi All,

I have trying out some sign software (profilelab, VCarvz, etc.) and have been dissapointed in the time it takes to cut the actual signs. I am using and old 486 computer and I'm wondering if a faster computer would speed things up. I juts made a 10 letter sign with 1-1/2" 3D carved letters and it took almost 30 minutes to cut. Is this typical?

rgbrown@itexas.net
12-30-2002, 08:17 AM
Jim,

A faster MIGHT speed things up. I haven't cut many 'V-carve' things but the few I have have been fairly fast to cut.

My "bot" computer is a 486 - 50MHz. I will be upgrading to use network file sharing.

Ron

gerald_d
12-30-2002, 11:04 AM
We cut at 1.25" per second (true speed, checked with tape measure and watch) and use VCarvZ. 30 minutes for that sign sounds "ridiculously" slow. Around 5 minutes would be more typical, depending on the font.

Your starting point would be to do some "drag tests" over a measured foot/meter/whatever and check your bot's true speed. I don't think this has anything to do with your sign software - more to do with your PC controller and true speed.

Mayo
12-30-2002, 04:05 PM
You may be cutting the file using the default cutting speed of profilelab, which is most likely set way too low.

The files you create in profilelab (and most other sign making programs for routers) will be created using the speed settings in the sign software and this will over ride any speed setting you have your shopbot software set at.

I also use a 486 for my shopbot computer and I've never had a problem with the speed of the computer. The only thing I notice is on large files, the shopbot occasionally pauses the cutting briefly while getting more info from the computer.

hfmillwork@hotmail.com
12-30-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I have checked the speed settings and they are fine - about .5 "/sec as the letters were so small. I am speed limited to about 2-1/2"/sec due to computer speed, but other files cut just fine, correct speed and all. The mystery is that I know the machine can go faster. The whole file is thousands of M3 moves which should be no problem. I'm stumped.

dands50@hotmail.com
12-30-2002, 07:00 PM
Jim make sure that the letter file that is each letter is not redrawn over itself I hope you follow what i'm trying to say, in your program remove fill-ins ie: the solid color of the letter then change to ungroup or convert strokes to outlines then click on one letter and then on edit then cut, see if there are any underlying lines. this can make the bot cut very slow as it will read mutiple layers as one and take forever to cut. I do signs in the 2" letter height on oak at 1.5" per min. with a sharp bit at a high router speed with no proublem. David in Wyoming

gerald_d
12-31-2002, 05:12 AM
Jim, the cutting speed is not decided by the size of the job. There is no need to reduce the speed for small work.