PDA

View Full Version : Sign Cutting - Metal

stickman
03-04-2004, 08:04 AM
I've been looking at a product called Dibond material, by the Alcan Composite company. I'd like to know if anyone has used it and for what purposes.

Thanks, Jay

jay
03-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Jay, I have cut quite a lot of Dibond. Cuts very easily, 1/4" downcut spiral. Use it for signs, comes in a number of colours and can be used for a base for vinyl or air brushing. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jay

stickman
03-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Jay, (feels like I am talking to myself)

What method are you using to hold the sheet to the table?

What speeds are you using to cut with the 1/4" downcut.

Have you done any score and bend with it?

Thanks, Jay

artisan
03-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Dibond is two sheets of aluminum, with a pvc core sandwiched in between. It cuts like butter and you can v groove it on one side and then make perfect bends with it. I just screw it to the table....D

stickman
03-04-2004, 03:31 PM
Darrell,

I think it would be some awesome stuff to build cabinets and things out of. Too bad that its so expensive.

Eureka!! I just thought of something I could build with it. Our ambulance service needs some trays for holding IV needles and things. We use little plastic trays and go through the quite reqularly, especially in the heat of battle. And they could be clean easily...

I'm going to have to find a few scrap pieces from someone.

Jay

jay
03-04-2004, 04:54 PM
I have been screwing it to the table as well. If I remember correctly I have been cutting it at 1.7"/sec. Tomorrow I should finish my new full size Vacuum table so I look forward to not haveing to screw thing down any more.

capronarthur@hotmail.com
12-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Need instructional video or books which teach how to use the shopbot machine
GEORGE

paco
12-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Seek the the download page at http://www.shopbottools.com/download.htm

ron_phillips
03-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I have tried cutting .04 gage aluminum with shopbot
using the 1/4" up and downcut bits. They buildup the soft aluminum (like lead) on the bit and the bit breaks
within a few feet. I was told by Onrud that the aluminum is too soft. I'm thinking the the Dibond is not much different.???

d_m_a_n
05-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Cutting DiBond is much easier to cut than .040 aluminum.
The aluminum on dibond is very thin.

joe
05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Nope, that's not right about cutting aluminum. With the proper bit it cuts like butter.To get you going I'd suggest you contact Gary Beckwith (www.beckwithdecor.com) and get the proper bits. I personally use the Belin up spiral O Flute at 14000 rpm's but the travel speed depends on the hardness of the aluminum. With the Belin there isn't any need for a coolant and the sides come out polished. I usually order 6063 aluminum.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com