PDA

View Full Version : New post and panel sign

jhicks
11-06-2008, 11:07 AM
New project before installation was made entirely of 3/4" medex. Sign panel is double sided 36" x 60" x 4" thick. Columns are 14" sq x 75" tall and weigh about 125 pounds/ea but should be a snap to install.
Columns took ore time to build and finish than the sign itself but lots easire to fab from sheet stock than wood stick build.
project consumed 5 sheets of Medex for everything.
Finsh and cut techniques pretty comon. Paint sign face, mask, carve, paint V carved fonts and logo. Same with columns with clear coat on all interior end edges before assembly, followed by scuff and finish navajo white exterior coat. All paints in polyurethane we have standardized on for exterior durability and finish quality.
Enjoy

john_l
11-06-2008, 03:49 PM
What brand paint Jerry? Any primer? Very nice work.

jhicks
11-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi John, Its from ICA. http://www.icaamerica.biz/
Its a post catalyzed poly mix and our local supplier is teriffic about helping us with color match formulas. When painting Medex or PVC we never need any primer. It lays down very nice and dries to the touch in about 15 to 30 minutes. Usually only need one coat. On the V carved sign elements I brushed in a coat to let it absorb well into the raw Medex and this is also useful on real absorbent stock but with a scuff sand on the surfaces, its a one coat spray, no primer needed.
A bit pricey when one has to buy quarts of colors to mix in house but we determined the effort in mixing and the expense is well worth it for a superior durable finish and single coat fast dry process.
Adheres well to PVC and with an auto high build primer, its nice with HDU as well. We use mostly a 20 sheen base and color mix/match whatever is specified.
Rated exterior and a tuff finish. I love this stuff. If you can find a dealer nearby, its worth looking into.

signtist
11-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Wow Jerry, That's nice.
Are the top of the posts peaked?
Can you share some more photos?
How are you mounting the sign to the posts?
How are the posts mounted to the ground?
Is the medex butted and glued then stapled, like a box cabinet?
Is there any bracing in the inside?
Often times, it's the posts that makes a good looking sign.
This it what seperates the men from the boys!
Nice job!

john_l
11-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks Jerry

jhicks
11-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi John and thanks for the positive feedback. In answer to your questions here we go.
1) Yes, those caps are 4.5" high with the straight square edges at 2.5" then tapered into the center to their peaks. Each cap is 17" square at the base.
2) Dont have more photos but tell me what you want to see and I'll take some before it leaves.
3)The posts have 1.626 sq." square holes in both sides. We will thead a 1.5" steel tube between them which go thru the sign. Between the sign panel and the posts are 1.75" steel tubes cut to 3" lenghts as washers or separate the sign panel from the post.
Each post side tube holre will be capped with pyramid caps to fill the square tube holes after final positioning for a seal and decorative detail.
Inside the column is another sleeve/tube/washer that will be snugged up inside the column wall and screwed to the 1.5" tube steel to secure it inside both columns and trap the sign between the columns, the post, and the larger painted steel tubes.
4) The columns have internal square blocks with 4" holes in ther centers. These will be slipped over 3" PVC pipes mounted in sono tubes filled with concrete. The 8" sono tube will be set in the ground, the 3" pvc pipe set in wet concrete, and the pipe top will be below the lower steel cross bar. The top of the cardboard sono tube will be leveled and sit inside the column center and rest on the inset hole block which is mounted/pocket screwed 4" above the bottom of the column.
5) The Medex is box joined and screwed from the inside on 2 sides and one face. the other face is staples and glued together. Then the "faceframe" is stapled and glued to the base square column box to cover the joinery and brads. All interior finishes were sealed with clear polyurethane finish to prevent any moisture problems. All edges and surfaces are also sealed and/ painted with the poly color coat. Edges at the base board between the main column and outer face frame, and base trim were sealed with polyseam seal caulk to prevent any water between layered trim piece and main column box.
6) Yes there are 2 internal square 3/4" thick with 4" diameter holes cut thru them. The block/square braces are pocket screwed into 3 sided piece internally before closing the 4th side of the columns. These are invisible from the exterior. One is 4" above the bottom, one for middle just below lower steel cross bar location. Each of these lower internal blocks guide and center the column over the 3" PVC pipe in concrete forms. One more top brace about 3/4" below the top serves as the top square brace and will be used to apply adhesive to the cap when its assembled and secured on site.
Hope that answers your questions. if not, let me know.
I have published a set of assembly instructions with photos for the installer if that would help.
E-mail me if its something you think you might find useful.

jhicks
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Just checked your web site John, nice work in sandblasted dimensional signs. Now that I see your posts and finials, I think the simple addition of machined flutes or detail in your 4x4 posts would add a nice touch and maybe a bit of a premium. Simple enough on the Bot and adds that extra accent/flair. But for large posts, box build is simple and can have the stile and rail appearance, flutes, or whatever you can dream up pretty simply.

signtist
11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
It sure sounds like a lot of weight for a 3" PVC pipe. I suspect it will flex a lot!

harryball
11-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Yeah, seems like a lot of weight for regular PVC.

Schedule 80 PVC is pretty stiff, add dry concrete and run some water down it after you install it, even stiffer.

/RB

jhicks
11-17-2008, 09:21 AM
The sign columns actually sit on top of an 8" sonotube filled with concrete in 48" deep footers and rises above ground into the inside of the base 4". The PVC water pipe is quite strong and rises into the column through two internal square filler blocks with guide holes in the center of each column. The pipe threads through these internal guide blocks about 36" into each column.
There is no weight on the pipe itself as the base sits on concrete. The pipe is is in the center of the concrete pier and alligns and spaces the columns on proper centers.
We use this technique on all our monument signs and it works great.
Appreciate the comments. If that pipe flexes, it will have to be under tornado force winds but the dry fill is an interesting idea for future consideration.