PDA

View Full Version : Filling & sealing the edge of Komatex

magic
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Hello

I am making a hundred (12mm thick) circles from Komatex and painting them fire engine red. The job requires me to fill the outer edge before coloring on all sides. They are 9 inches in diameter.

Should I use an epoxy, bondo, yellow glue OR?

Should I paint them with Ronan OR use vinyl spray/dye in the can and what will the vinyl spray adhere to other then vinyl?

jerry_stanek
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
We just use auto body glaze.

magic
10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Will vinyl dye work on glaze?

jerry_stanek
10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
We use auto paint on ours but vinyl dye should work. One nice thing about the glaze is that it is red to begin with

joe
10-20-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm lost on this one.

Komatex is solid PVC and doesn't need edge sealing.

Because most red paint fades so quickly, we use either Dupont Automotive Acrylic or Matthews Acrylic Enamel. It will last for years and years. Matthews has a PVC primer.

I've never seen a red dye / glaze. Where and what is that?

With this kind of work, the cheapest and best shortcut, is no shortcut.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

magic
10-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Joe
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem15103.html

It comes in a spray and in gallons too

jerry_stanek
10-21-2009, 04:20 PM
When you cut Komatex the edge is porous and doesn't paint the same as the front and back.

magic
10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I tried red putty, seems ok

The auto body guys mixed me some polyester spot filler, I didn't see any real difference but the red one-stage putty does sand easier.

joewino
10-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Rather than PVC you could use a high density HDU and no edge filling would be necessary. You could just cut and spray.

jerry_stanek
10-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I use a product called Claw Glaze it fills nice and is easy to sand.

joe
10-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Magic,

I haven't had a problem with the edges on Trovacel, or Centra. Could it be your bit? I usually use a Belin for the smoothest cuts. I have noticed a difference in density between 1/2" - 3/4" and 1". The 1" comes with a glass smooth surface while the 1/2" is textured.

Sealing up 1/4" edges on pvc is too painful to think about.

Raymond, perhaps you could direct us to your supply of 12mm HDU. I bet it's cheap too.

Jerry's got the answer, if you must, with Claw Glaze.

magic
10-21-2009, 09:26 PM
The PVC cuts nice but I need a completely sealed edge. People will be handling these parts, up close.

HDU would probably break as the parts are not screwed to the wall or anything. Even Rnboard would probably fail. The ring will be used as a handle to pick-up 4 pounds and the PVC seems to be the best option.

The red single-stage putty also seems to be working. and spray paint right out of the can is easier then to set up and clean a sprayer....... on this project.

Granted, I would probably do things differently on a different project.

Thank you all