PDA

View Full Version : I need your help on v-carved signs

woody
04-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I need your help on v-carved signs, I use Enroute 3 Plus with a 60 degree bit to v-carve words in small (2” tall letters) signs made of poplar. The bottom of the “W” where the wood comes to a point brakes off. I paint these signs before machining them and clear coat after for inside use. Is there a way to prevent this from happing? Maybe treat the wood, or change the type of wood? I tried changing directions with no luck!

jay
04-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Scott, I guess poplar is as brittle as both cedar and redwood. I have had the same problem and have not found a solution to guarantee it does not happen.

paco
04-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey Scott!

You could try a smaller stepdown.

I guess that Enroute does a "roughting" (2D pass) first then a finishing pass (3D moves) to V carve the design so if you could find where in the SBP file it begin this 3D carving finishing pass, you could set the MOVE speed slower... combined with a smaller stepdown, this could help, thought not 100%... and this could sure slow down your work... The harder the wood, the less it tend to break, from my experiences...

joe
04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Scott,

I think this problem is not unusual. One trick I've used with some success is to shellac the surface with a 3lb cut a couple of times, then premask the surface. The mask sometimes will keep those little pieces in place.

I like Poplar for it's clear surface but it's not good outdoors, and it also scorches easily if the chip action isn't right.

Beautiful wood though.

Good Luck

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

jay
04-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Joe, Great thought, I had not thought of using a mask.

Thanks!

gerald_d
04-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Priority one, is to use super-sharp bits.

Another possibility is to cut the letters about 1/8" too deep, and then take the top 1/8" off with a belt-sander.

dingwall
04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm looking for a dxf of a simple V carved flower or flowery corner border for my 10 year old daughter to make a little sign with.

Anyone have one they could email me or point me in the right direction.

I'd be using Vector CAD/CAM to do the tool pathing.

TIA

tuck
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Speaking of masking and V-grooving, does anyone use the liquid brush or roll-on type(s)? One type is called "Spraylat" but I can't find it anywhere. My local sign supply house only carries the self-adhesive sheets. I've never tried them, but I'm not sure if I would trust them to stick well doing detailed V-grooving under a router bit spinning @ 10,000 rpm. I know that the liquid types stick good on a properly prepared surface and peels up easily enough when it's time. Heck, I think Spraylat is even water soluable after it dries, which doesn't take long as I recall from many years ago.