PDA

View Full Version : Pounce Bag????

tomj
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi all,
I have a question that I can hinge totally on my lack of experience....I have been receiving issues of Sign craft (which is the best investment in learning a little about the sign industry in my opinion!) and occasionally there is mention of a "pounce bag" being used. From what I gather, it is a bag filled with charcoal dust, used for marking your layout with a full scale template when hanging cut out letters, then I saw an article where it was used on a type of finish...

could someone clue me in on what they are generally used for? or how they should be used and the common uses? Thanks in advance for your patience in reading through my foolish question and thanks also for any reply anyone is willing to give!

Since I registered on this forum, the sign industry has really intrested me and it is really enjoyable to watch this subject here!
Thanks again!
Tom

joewino
01-04-2007, 06:26 PM
This is a perfect example of a term that at one time was understood by all, but with technology the terms are different.

In the "old days" of sign painting we made a paper pattern of the lettering and then perforated little holes along the outline of the letters, either with a pounce wheel that mechanically made little holes in the paper, or we used a pounce machine which burnt holes in the paper.

You would then line your pattern up the way you wanted and dust either powdered charcoal, baby powder, or chalk line chalk dust through the holes and onto the surface of the sign. Most just used an old sock with some cotton stuffed in it for filler, or cut up an old t-shirt and made a pounce bag. You would put masking tape around the end to form a handle.

When you tapped the bag on the paper pattern some of the dust would come out and go through the little holes. Just like magic you had transfered your pattern onto the background and then you go do it again and again.

They were messy but they got the job done. You also had to have your head on a swivel because it was not uncommon to get one of those things up the side of your head if you had a co-worker who like to play practical jokes.

Now you can buy a small wooden or plastic box with a bag inside - they are made my Hansee.

Ah...the good old days.

By the way, they are not new - Michelangelo used them on the ceiling of the Chistene Chapel

tomj
01-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the lesson Raymond! I think that can call it a week now that I have learned something! I didn't think that it was anything new on the market but, like I mentioned - lack of experience....

thanks for taking the time to leave a response!
This forum is a true wealth!

Tom