PDA

View Full Version : Recent sign, using different substrates

kerrazy
11-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey there,
Here is a sign I created using Extira, HDU and MDO (sign plywood)
THe large oval in the middle is 1" thick Extirra with the letters raised and a fine shoulder around each letter to accomadate an outline. The $3 coins are carved HDU and the main background is MDO (sign ply).
All was hand painted with aid of masks and some god old fashioned lettering quils as needed.
The oval extirrra piece was all cut on the CNC with no mask then primed and painted green, with the other colours applied by foam roller or lettering quill.

kerrazy
11-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Here is a shot of the raised lettering

jhicks
11-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Very Nice work as usual. What was your motivation to use extira and that particular mix of materials? Now that you've run it, what is your opinion of extira vs other substrates? I've heard its extremely heavy, tough to apply a finish, and hard on bits. Would you recommend it over some other materials ie: PVC, Sintra,MDF, or other specific options? I'm sure you had very good reasons for the hybrid mix but curious what they were.

kerrazy
11-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Main reason was , and this is a doozey.... The client could not get their act together to get a deposit to me in a timley manner. SO rather than shell out the $350.00 for another sheet of HDU, I had the extirra and thought what the hec, it would give me a chance to work on a sealing technique Joe Crumley had come up with. I had experimented with extira in the past with very poor results. as it is loaded with phenolic resins, it is somewhat impercious to water (this is a good thing) that also means it will not absorb a finsh(this is a bad thing ). Joe has come up with a solution, cut epoxy with roughly 20% thinner, and slather that on the panel and Bob's your unlce, it absorbs into the surface and will now accept a finish. It also aids in creating a real smooth finish as well.

Cheers,
Dale

billp
11-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Dale,
Also try plain old shellac. One thin coat, and a follow up of one at full strength. The alcohol base seems to "cut" into their surface coat, and after a quick sanding pass, it's glass smooth.

joe
11-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Dale,

Congratulations on a project well done.

My mind drifts back to the photo of Bill, sporting the pith helmet, while carving that huge crockadile for Extira. What a hoot.

Perhaps Bill is correct about shellac. I love the stuff as it is so user friendly, and safe on the body. It also dries fast and sands like a dream.

My reason to go with epoxy was due to paint failures. We'd completed three signs that didn't make it into our delivery truck, due to exagerated paint fall off. I mean fall off. I had noticed some difference in surface smothness along and oilyness of the product. For this reason I went all the way and sealed it off with epoxy. It works great. Since my posting a few months, there were several other sign companys with the same problem.

O, I saw the Pulumbo 3D carved crockadile featured in a Sign Business advertisement ad yesterday. Looks good too.

jhicks
11-25-2005, 08:27 AM
It has been said that "Necessity is the Mother of invention". Looks like this is a great example. Need to incorporate shellac into my thinking and next sign plan. I like the sound of "smooth as Glass" finish and user friendly properties. Thanks