PDA

View Full Version : Permits?? Who gets them?

wardsa
07-31-2009, 02:33 PM
I am looking at my first commercial sign job. How do you guys handle the permits? Do you get them or do you have the customer get them. I'm not even sure where to begin with them. This will be a pretty large, ground mounted sign.
Thanks' Terry

hol
07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
We do both - depending on the client. If we get the permits we add on a fee for our time involved in pulling the permit.

Depending on how busy we are and how much effort is needed in getting the permit - many times we pay a company to file for and obtain the sign permit for us.

Larry

www.brfsigns.com (http://www.brfsigns.com)

dakers
07-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Terry, every zoning dept has different rules.
for us to get permit we have to have a license in that city then have insurance then get bulding dept approval then zoning dept approval then and also the utility company to check for underground utilities if we are digging. then we are required to have our name on the sign incase they want to blame us for any damage incured they can find us easier.
It seems easier to buy a car.

ghostcreek
07-31-2009, 07:41 PM
My two cents, Dick is correct, every town/city has different laws/codes. We usually get the client to get the permits (we spell that out in our contract), it seems (in the west) a property owner has less or no hassle getting a permit. A Contractor comes in to the Planning dept.and they see a chance to make you jump through Hoops. I used to have my wife do it, but they got wise to that. It is really easier for me to get a permit to add on to a house then get a sign permit.
But, it is part of the job. Good thing Terry you are looking at these things.

pro70z28
07-31-2009, 10:29 PM
I usually tell them, I'll handle calling J.U.L.I.E. if you handle the permits.
Here the contractor is required to call J.U.L.I.E. anyway so I might as well offer. lol

rb99
07-31-2009, 11:36 PM
You should know the local bylaws, and get the permits as part of your service. Charge for it of course, but once you are the permit getter you also get the job.

When you charge for it properly, and do it a bunch of times it is not so bad...

RIB

dakers
08-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Richard is right. when we started looking at permits as a way to make money, a product we sell, it became a tiny bit less of a necessary evil.
but when i started we did not have to get permits and that spoiled me greatly. I had read a story back in the 70's in the sign trade journal about a city that restricted signs so much that the City became a ghost town and no one knew why.

signtist
08-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Here in San Diego county, you have to be a licensed contractor to get permits.
I usually install without permits. As long as it looks right, size, set backs, height restrictions, etc, you should be OK.
There are no extra fines, so I tell my customers not to unless it's on a main commercial street.

hol
08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Here installing without a permit can cost a $1000 fine and or 60 days in jail.

john_l
08-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Getting the client to pull permits or to accept the liability of doing so may not be allowed in many areas. In several areas we work in.. a licensed contractor must pull the permit and also do the installation work.

I really do know a fella that got a fine and 3 months to sit and think about this at a county clubhouse... and it all but ruined him.

wcsg
08-29-2009, 02:39 AM
Also, a Licensed contractor is the only one who can legally execute a contract where installation work is involved.

Only a licensed contractor can legally sub-contract to another. In other words, you cannot sign a contractor with a client (being unlicensed) and subcontract the install to a licensed contractor.

You will go to jail and pay hefty fines. I'm speaking for California and most other states.

joe
08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Terry,

I've always admired the signs you fellows produce. Each one is original and the finishing is excellent.

Thanks for posting

Joe

aaasigncom
09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
WE CHARGE $ 75.00 / HOUR. ITS ANOTHER PROFIT CENTER. www.AAASIGN.com (http://www.AAASIGN.com) INDIANAPOLIS -- ELECTRIC SIGNS FOR RESALE