PDA

View Full Version : Fox Run

joe
04-26-2006, 11:17 PM
I allways enjoy seeing Botters projects, and amazed how varied the scope of the work. Any job done a CNC gets my attention, and I bet it does most viewers. There's just so much fun stuff to learn.

Here's one of our current jobs. We are close to half way through and thought some of you might find something of interest.

This is for a developer who is building a new housing addition,"Fox Run"

It has two entrances with a couple of sets of letters and horns for each. Also the builder has set a rock wall to house a fox hunting scene. This will viewed once you enter the property.

All of the letters are made from 3/4" MDO which are scheduled to be textured with Sculpt Nouveau. Studs were installed on the first layer, then the top was epoxied. We gave all of this a liberal coat of epoxy on all sides before texturing.

The horns were also made from MDO except there was HDU applied to the bell so I could shape it correctly. Like the letters,they were 1.5" in thickness. I worried about vandalism on the so I made them really strong.

I shaped these with a 3" Fishtail gouge, a mean rasp, and some P100 paper. Because these will be gilded 23k and need to be very smooth, I decided to do a pour over with yellow colored epoxy.

We have completed the texturing and application of Sculpt Nouveau to one set. This has to be the most fun part of the project. Once the material is applied and set up, the little spray bottle comes out which has light green acid solution. This is an oxidizing process which take a few days to come to completion. It's just plain fun watching the colors come out.

I'll post a series of pix on this sometime later. The material comes Copper, Brass, Steel, Peuter, Silver, etc. with diffrent acid spray patina's. The good news is, it's user friendly in their B solution. It's water based and safe. A quart will do hundreds of dollars of letters.

We will be installing the first half of the letters tomorrow if the dentist doesn't doo too much damage to Dennis. You never know what havock a dentis can do.

J

rookie432
04-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Wow Joe,
That texture is fantastic. You humble me in so many ways.
Question? did you overlay your letters with a thinner set of letters to cover up the stud holes then epoxy? I'm assuming this is so. If so what did you use to laminate the top layer letters to the base letters before epoxy? And what epoxy do you use?

Bill

jhicks
04-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Another piece of original Art. Keep those photos and process notes coming.They provide some great inspiration and tips on fabrication.Nothing like watching an Artist at work!

drodda
04-27-2006, 05:47 PM
More then 24 hours and no updated pictures? Should we send someone over to check on Joe. I'm getting worried or is it impatient?

Another very interesting project Joe. Keep up the great work and keep the information flowing.

Dave

tuck
04-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Tally Ho, Joe! A most interesting project!

I am curious about the yellow epoxy you describe to cover the letters, etc. MDO is great stuff, but one of it's drawbacks is covering the "plys" on the returns (sides). Was that the primary reason for the epoxy? And if so, wasn't it a "bear" to apply and sand smooth? I have almost no experience with epoxy, so forgive me.

Would expanded 3/4" PVC not have worked just as well, without the need for the epoxy? And if not, why not? Just curious.

The "Fox Hunting Scene",...is that something you are actually going to paint (duplicate) by hand, or will it be a digital print of some sorts? You never know, with today's technology.

The patina looks georgeous! I gotta try that!

Mark

joe
04-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Bill,

There are two sets of letters. The larger sets of finished letters are 1.5" thick. We cut two duplicate sets .75" MDO, dirlled holes and bolted in the studs in one of these. Then we buttered them up with epoxy and placed the second set letter on top. To keep them in perfect register, we screwed them together, from the back, with sheetrock screws.

I've had good luck with all brands of epoxy. The favorite of Bill P. is Mass, which uses vinegar and water as clean up. I'd sure like to try that. We use Precision Boards epoxy.

Dave, your right, I'm falling further and further behind.

On the next big project, I'm gonna call you up and insist you come down and pitch in. Can't figure out why Terry and Dennis call it slave labor. Ingrates

I'm sure you'd have lots of good, better, ideas on ways to save time and materials, which would get the job out faster. Most of mine are outdated. But we won't be able to use any of them because I'm still in the horse and buggy era.

Steph says she thinks I have some mule in me. And she's friend too.

The fill pour over the bolts is a 50% Bondo and Fiberblass Resin. This is a solution I've used for years to fill in cavities. It pours like molases and hardens in minutes. Sand very smooth too.

Here are a couple of sample pieces from Sculpt Noveau. The sub surface is Trupan anthough that doesn't mean very much. Any surface will do.

Tomorrow is the installation for larger letters and I'll do a second pour of epoxy over the Horns.
Hopefully they will be ready to gild on Tuesday.

The next big step is the frame for the painting. This will be cut on the SB from MDO with the top surface of Extira. That will be copper antiqued with some brass showing through.

The Fox Hunt Painting is the last and most challenging. I've found the image and will begin on that in about a week.

Cheers.

J

tuck
04-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Joe, the first thing that strikes me is the length of the studs coming out of the letter backs. They gotta be at LEAST 4"! Holy Moly! You WERE worried about vandalism! Gonna set those in epoxy too? (Just kiddin', Joe! Have a sense of humor, ok?)

The Fox Hunt Painting scene you've chosen is a classic. Obviously, you're gonna hand-paint this. Acrylics, oils or enamels? In any case, I'm curious to see how you stretch out the square-shaped painting into the rectangular shaped design your customer wants. I have no doubt you can do a masterful job, but please keep us updated indeed.

Great work, Joe!

mdebruce
04-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Joe I mainly still lurk here but had to say your work is great!

joewino
04-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Joe and I must be on the same brain wave length. We use this same procedure for a lot of our work.

We have a set of cut out letters in the studio now that we have backed with Dibond. A sheet of 1" HDU (20#) is glued to a sheet of .25" Dibond with West System epoxy. A paper drawing is made of the letters and this is attached to the HDU with 77 Spray Adhesive. My son Mike then cuts out the letters on a scroll saw or with a sabre saw (metal blade).

When my ShopBot arrives and is up and functional that step will be eliminated. Mike will still be around but just running the router rather than a scroll saw.

The letters are then sprayed with 100% acrylic latex. Holes are drilled through the Dibond (back of letter) and into the HDU. Then threaded studs (yes, long like Joe's) are set into these holes with epoxy.

We have tried PVC on a few occasions, but have experienced warping in our Texas heat and sun.

drodda
04-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Joe,
You have my number give me a ring. I would love to come watch the magic that you are working on these signs. Maybe even get my hands dirty while you stand around giving orders.
What color is the "R" in the pictures above. that color is outstanding.

Keep the great information coming.

Dave

artisan
04-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Joe....Great Work!....please expand on the Bondo-Fiberglass mixture. I've never heard of this and am in need of such a quick filler. Thank You....Darrell

joe
04-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Mark,
The studs are extra long due to the exaggerated rock configuration. The mortar is somewhat recessed. Drilling is easy anyway. PVC lamination of HDU and Sculpt Nouveau is an unknown for me. Too risky on this kind of job.

Bruce,
Glad you posted and thank you for the nice commnet.

Dave R.
I've been talking with couple of SB guys who, like you, are interested in visiting our shop for a few days to help out. Most of my projects can be completed in that time. This would a project oriented workshop. Everyone would know what was going to happen and the steps involved. Would be a fun, learning time. Hard work though.

We won't be in our new building for three months so there will be a little lag time. Thanks for the offer. It's hard to turn down slave labor. Especially with your experience.

Darrell,
The formula is very easy. Equal amounts of Bondo and Fiberbglass resin. Mix it up and then mix in the ususal amount of EACH hardner. The amounts of hardner isn't critical. This solution should be liquid enough to pour for about 8-10 min. You can sand it 30 min. This has saved the day for me many times.

What a grea day!
I got a call first thing this morning from Doug S. and G. Beckwith. Gary was heading down from Kansas and Doug was coming in from south Okla. to buy me lunch. Well, there's no such thing as a free lunch, as we all know.

We had a great Shopbot day just talking, thinking and solving technical problems. I sure appreciate the good friends I've made my router and also those I found on this forum.

O, got rained out friday on the Fox Run installation. The second epoxy pour on the horns went very well. Will gild on Monday or Tuesday. Will send pix then.

J

tuck
05-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Joe, I am looking forward to an update w/ pics. Hope it's going well, especially the painting!

joe
05-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Our work on the Fox Run is complete except for the graphic and it's frame. Who know when I'll catch up.

Just returned from Callander, Scotland. This was the second annual International Letterhead meeting. It's a casual meeting of a hundred or so very skilled, artists from around the world. There were portfolio's, and demonstrations, arond the clock for all of us to enjoy.

Kind of Humbling!

Photo's of the event will probably be posted soon on www.letterville.com (http://www.letterville.com)

J

drodda
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Joe,
I bet people are talking about how humbling it was to meet the Great Joe Crumley on other forums.

Dave

Now get us final pictures of the project!

tuck
08-10-2006, 03:01 AM
Ok, Joe,...time for an update. :-)

kerrazy
08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Who is the old geezer in the first series of photos, he looks like he needs to sit a spell, and rest up, posibbly get some geritol in him to get throught the day.....

Joe, Nice again of course, one day I'll get to your level, unfortunaltley I will still have less hair though.
Cheers,
Dale

dhunt
08-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Careful how you talk about us Old Geezers, young man!
Joe Crumley emailed me just a few days ago, mentioning that he was now 66,
and that retirement was looming.

Looking at the guy in the picture,
it could well be a 66-yr.old Shopbot expert with a lifetime's experience.

(You'll be there soon enough, Sonny..)