View Full Version : About to toss it in

alister
02-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I've shimmed the bend out of the aluminum extrusions and have the table square and level.
One of the bearings sits above the track and slightly to the inside.
Support pointed to the article on clamping the car to the rails and loosening the brackets and then retightening to adjust the thing.
I've done this ...and done this and done this.....went away to work on other stuff and came back and done it again and still the little !@#$% is in the air.
On one attempt I did get it to sit ...but in the morning it was back where it was.
I've wasted enough time on this.
Has anyone done this with success?
If so , exactly how .

Brady Watson
02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Alister,
FYI - SB Support doesn't monitor the forum for support issues.

Post a few pics of the problems you are having so that we can help you sort it out.

-B

Gary Campbell
02-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Alister...
Have you loosened the bolts on the angled gussets into the blue end brackets AND the ones up into the bottom of the extrusion? Try that and let us know.
Gary

alister
02-19-2008, 10:31 AM
I tried to take a photo of the gap but the camera can't catch it.
I loosened and tightened the bolts top and bottom on the gusset/gussets.
Tried different sequences -tried one side -both sides- tried different patterns of bolt tightening
tried blows with rubber mallet(does nothing)
tried clamping it down.
Frank in support has been working with me on this and has done everything that can be expected.By posting here I'm acknowledging that the problem could totally be the way I'm doing something....I just can't see it and can't think of any more options/methods

srwtlc
02-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Alister,

Although I'm sure that this is not recommended (because it's supposed to be set at the factory when the extrusion and end plates are bolted up in their jig), but because mine was so far out, I had to loosen the eight bolts on the end plates holding them to the extrusion. If one or both end plates are slightly off, you'll never get the gussets to hold down a high roller because your attempting to twist the extrusion (which shouldn't be done). If you have one side that is making contact properly, clamp that one down to the rails and check the face of the extrusion for perpendicular to the table. If it's good, keep it clamped down and loosen the other side (gussets too) and allow it to relax into position and then retighten everything. Check for parallel of the extrusion to the table also just in case one side is lower than the other.

Due to the fact that the face of the extrusion wasn't perpendicular to the table on mine, I also had to rotate my extrusion as much as I could within the limits of the bolt holes.

Scott

dingwall
02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Are the two end plates parallel with each other? Are the bearings exactly the same distance apart?

alister
02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Problem is fixed.

Shopbot sent Brady and with a bit of futzing with a shim on the bearing and bolt loosing and retightening ,I'm good to carry on setting up.

I wish some of the other companys I dealt with for machinery were as pro active in problem solving as Shopbot is.

Thanks Everyone.