PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Router Holder Aftermarket

rustnrot
09-20-2007, 02:31 PM
First, a confession. I tried to use the Porter Cable mount with my PRS standard and Milwaukee router. Even though I shimmed it, the flange on the casting broke when I went to tighten the bolt. As I explained to Shopbot, whether it was specifically my fault or a weak casting, they nevertheless sent me a new one free of charge under warranty.

Looking for something better, I did a little googling and came across a Milwaukee-specific router holder here http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/proddetail.asp?prod=RM%2DMIL5625&cat=31

I got the first one they made with an adapter for a Shopbot PRS machine. The adapter is $35 extra but it has extra holes that allow the router to be positioned lower. My pics below show a dummy bit that would plunge into the top of the 2x4 maybe 1/4". Note that the top of the 2x4 (1.5" thick plus .75" for piece below it) is 2.25" or what would normally be the top of the bleeder sheet if using a vacuum setup. In other words even with this relatively short bit in the router I could still plunge through the part and 1/4" into the bleeder board.

Z All the way up the Milwaukee power cord still clears the Y motor.

And the dust foot still works although with a slight offset due to the aluminum plate being 3/8" thick rather than the 1/4" thick steel plate Shopbot provides.

k2cnc has specific adapters for just about any router you can think of, and I believe, but you would need to verify to be sure, that the Shopbot adapter plate would work with all of them if you want to use yet another type router.

Also note you do NOT have to remove the "adjuster" on the side of the Milwaukee. I was a little skeptical at first that the cutout for it would weaken the mount but the mount appears to be very stout.

desertwoodworker
11-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Now that you have had a couple of months to use the Milwaukee setup how do you like it? Have you had any problems with it?

gabepari
11-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I remember when my dust foot looked that nice, it lasted about 45 minutes. Now it's mostly duct tape and rivets

Oh, and the router bracket looks nice too.

Gabe

gundog
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Is their any new feedback on this setup?
Thanks Mike