PDA

View Full Version : PRSstandard 96X48 Physically & Logically setting X, Y and Z

zeke
05-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I've setup the X proximity tabs as directed in the installation manual for X anyway which said to move the X to 2" from the end of the machine and set the tab there, completed that after correcting the VU configuration that shipped incorrectly. Then the manual says to "Finally, check the Y-Axis Proximity Switches to make sure it is adjusted correctly and functional". That Y comment leaves allot of room for uncertainty and what is correctly when there is no reference to where it is supposed to be and no mention of the Z.

Does anyone have a 96 X 48 that could share the physical location of the X, Y and Z from each of the physical end points?

knight_toolworks
05-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I have the electronic switches as lose to the stop blocks as possible. so just move your machine till it is almost touching the blocks and install the switches so they just go off when the machine is as close as possible.

zeke
05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
As it relates to having a cutting area of 96X48, does it matter where that 96X48 is setup. Logically, I assuming there should be equal distance on either ends and either sides for the x and y? I'm not sure if this matters or not so for example the table is 120" long, if I subtract 96" that leaves me 24", divide that in half so physically the X should physically start at the 12" mark and end at 108", is that how everyone is doing this? That said I can get the Y easily enough using this formula. How would I physically configure the Z, would the top-most resting place be set at zero?
I hope I'm making sense.

knight_toolworks
05-13-2009, 11:38 PM
your talking about locating the table surface? splitting is good. unless you want some extra room for a indexer.
the z changes depending on the job. there is no electrical stop for it. ( I don't think there is on the new ones) you zero on the top of the material or at the table bed depending on what your doing.
when you get the electronic stops setup you then locate the corner of your table. then put your measurements into the zero setup and you machine will go to that corner each time you zero you machine.

zeke
05-13-2009, 11:55 PM
That is really my question then where is the physical corner of the table located for a 96X48 machine. Should it be in the same physical location on everyone's machine or it will vary slightly because it is not a precise location?

knight_toolworks
05-14-2009, 12:15 AM
you can make it as precise as you want. but it is not critical as you can have the machine zero anywhere on the table. it's more important to get the table mounted square to the machine. this is easy to do with measuring or using the machine.
I do this to set up jigs. put a drill rod in the collet get your base in place move the machine till it just touches the edge (x axis) and move the machine down when you get close to the corner make sure the drill rod is still touching the side. do the same for the y axis.
so there is not true location. you set that up as part of setting up the machine.

dana_swift
05-14-2009, 02:47 PM
While I don't have a 96x48, the limit switch logic should be the same.. I set mine so that it trips "near" the physical limit of motion on each axis. The exact location is of no real importance.

In my "find XY zero command" (C1), I then added a move command (M2,xoffset,yoffset) and re-zero (Z2) (at the end of the Custom1.sbc file) to the physical corner of the table. That logic can be corrected any time I replace the table so it always goes to the same place in the new configuration. Then my cut files don't have to be updated when the table gets replaced. (My first table lasted about 8 months. I'm more gentle on my current one because I know more things to avoid, but it won't last forever.)

The value of the limit switches is to locate the corner, and also to stop the system when something has gone wrong.

Hopefully that method is applicable to any bot with limit switches (prox or otherwise). If not ignore this.. ;)

D