PDA

View Full Version : 3" of MDF just for router to touch table top???

nodnerb
09-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm finding that I will need 3" of mdf sheets to just touch the router bit to the surface at it's full travel. Is this a normal? It is traveling 8" in z (reads 18", but that's another unsolved problem)and hits the stops, requiring reset. So, with there being a 3" of mdf to just get the bit to touch and then a 1" spoilboard, that's 4-4x8 sheets of 1" mdf making up the 4". Is this a normal setup?

Shopbot is a PRSalpha, 48x96.

Thanks for any help.

srwtlc
09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
If you're using a PC router, then yes, you will need to have some extra material to reach to the spoilboard/table surface. I started with a router and had the same problem. Spindles reach further down. I used only three layers. What I did to gain the extra was to remove the stop bolt from the top of the Z rack, drill and tap a new hole as far up as possible (without the pinion disengaging the rack) and reinstall the stop bolt. That will gain you approximately 1" more travel.

I thought that SB new about this and was making a different mounting plate. ? It makes it kind of tough to make the pockets for the bolts for the base sheet and also for cutting a plenum.

dewey_dog
09-19-2007, 07:54 PM
BPM, My first machine(used) had 2x4's bolted on the crossmembers and I did not know why but after reading your post things are much clearer. You might want to try that strategy.

rustnrot
09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a Milwaukee router and ended up using an aftermarket holder that, with the optional adapter plate, allows the router to go lower and also, unlike the P-C mount from Shopbot fits the Milwaukee perfectly.

I posted my "fix" under the "Spindle and Router Mounting" category.

wayneo
09-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Hey Tom,
Would you mind disclosing what that aftermarket holder/adapter plate might be and where you purchased it?

Regards,

-W

rustnrot
09-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I posted it here

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/23372/24180.html?1190313105