PDA

View Full Version : Some Assembly Required

jd_graphics
10-14-2007, 12:30 AM
Finally getting stuff out of the crate on my trailer. I went down to the ShopBot training last weekend and brought home my new PRS Standard 48x96. After a week of moving some stuff around in the shop, I finally got to unload some things from the crate. I hope to start doing some assembly tomorrow...boy there's a lot of nuts and bolts!!!

jd_graphics
10-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Okay...got the basic table assembly done. It's together loosely and now I wait to move some old equipment out of the shop before I can place the 'bot in it's permanent spot and get it all squared and level. Not too bad of a job so far, but of course the detailed stuff is yet to come.

An extra hand would definitely come in handy (pun intended), however, to this point it is easy enough for 1 person. Obviously I'm going to need help with placing the yz car...but I'm not there yet, so things are good so far.

Look for more coming soon...

Justin

GlenP
10-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Looking good Justin, keep posting pics and updates. My new PRS Standard 48 x 96 is to be shipped later this week or early next. I would certainly be interested in any helpful tricks as you assemble. I bet you are like me and can't wait to start making dust with the machine!

jd_graphics
10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Hey Glen,

You're right, I can't wait, but I'm trying to be diligent and make sure everything is perfect as I set up...I only want to do it once. As for the basic table assembly, so far it's been pretty straight forward following the manual. If you're doing the assembly alone, as I am, you'll need a set of sawhorses to help support parts and pieces as you try to line them up and get them bolted together. Some assorted size clamps would come in handy as well.

The one goofy mistake I made so far was trying to put the bottom brace on the legs while they were still attached to the outside of the table. I was scratching my head pretty good for a minute when I was way short of where I needed to be when trying to bolt the 2nd side. Having said that, it was because I was trying to get ahead of myself that that happened, so don't rush and follow the manual and you should be fine...at least up to the point I've gotten. I'll keep updating as I get things done.

Justin

pfulghum
10-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Justin,
I would suggest some type of vibration isolation pad between the steel table on the concrete floor. You will end up with about 500# per leg.
I used the $15 "feet" from Grizzlytools.com. An old conveyor belt would be ok.

-- pat

dubliner
10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
So Pat are you saying the supplied Shopbot feet are insufficient?

richards
10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Neville,
Pat visited my shop awhile ago when he was in the area. When I visited his shop last week while I was attending the Boise Camp, he invited me to put my hand on his PRT-Alpha. The pads that he used eliminated most of the vibration that I had assumed as being part of the PRT-Alpha "experience". I'll be adding some kind of resilient pad to my PRT-Alpha as soon as possible.

pfulghum
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I won't comment on "insufficient". I'm just letting you know what I did

-- pat

dubliner
10-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Well Pat & Mike, that all sounds terribly plausible to me, I believe I will look into that , thanks ~ Nev