PDA

View Full Version : Nitty Questions from a Non-Owner

jemelby
12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I've been following the Shopbot forums for a long time. Here are a few more details about me, and what I expect to get out of a SBot:

- I am a soon-to-be retired serviceman. I hope to suppliment my income from retirement and subsequent small day job (UPS, rural mail, McDonald's or some such as that)with my passion for wood.
- I WANT "Shopbot, The Toy", but NEED it to be "ShopBot, The Money Maker."
- I have some experience with woodworking, and a special "knack" for getting things done with the tools I have at hand. Sometimes, this means jigs, and using tools like they were never intended (within safe limits, of course).
- I am a realist, and have dismissed the concept of a custom-furnature business. I can't compete with walmart. My stuff is of the finest workmanship, but folks just can't/won't pay what I have into it in terms of quality, material and love. Then there is the issue of volume.
- I hope to make one-shot custom items. When there is no work, I intend to keep the SBot busy with re-sale items like shelves, big puzzles, toys, and perhaps cabinet part contracts.
- I am handy with photoshop and 3D studio Max, and can nug out simple plans and designs in AutoCAD, though I perfer AutoSketch.
- I am computer literate.
- I have researched the competition, and have settled on a shopbot as my best choice. Though I may still need some reassurance in this area.
- I have zero experience with CAM.
- If I survive my next trip to the desert, I'll likely buy an SBot in 18-24 months.

There's the Bio, here's the questions (For starters):

- If I make a cut file, and specify a cutter dia of .25", is there any checking to ensure the file has no <.25" cuts?
- I am especially interested in "getting from idea to product" type how-to. The links I have seen in these forums seem to be dead. I have DLed and printed all the manuals, and have been getting some small clues there. This is a broad topic in the extreme, and I don't expect a comprehensive answer here. It is beyond the scope of these forums. A few links would be helpful, though.
- When/if I get a ShopBot, I will likely opt for the pre-fab steel table. Square and level seems far too important for one of these machines to trust to fickle, environment-suseptable wood (I have no metal fabrication skills or tools). I appreciate "stoutness." I figure if I don't have to tote it around, I'd just as soon have it be as heavy as it can be. Is the shopbot and stand heavily constructed? I have seen the shipping weights of 1000lbs for the bot and stand.
- Is there anyone within an hour of Nashville that would care to give me a demo?
- Getting back to the "Idea to Product" issue: What is the PitA factor (Pain in the A$$) for creating shopbot-useable files? Let's say I have a bitmap image of a widget that I ultimatley want to cut out on a shopbot. Can it be converted to a cut path without consulting IBM?
- I can really appreciate the benifit of mass proccessing of sheet goods with a shop bot. What are your experiences working with more traditional dimentional stock like random width four-quarter oak? I suspect the key is pre-cut prep, and careful selection at the lumberyard. If I start producing a widget that requires 7" wide stock, I won't be able to just order a palet of oak from the lumber yard. There would be too many < 4" boards in there.

That's alot of typing for one message. I hope it all fits. Perhaps this will kick off a meaningful exchange of information and ideas. Thanks.

mikejohn
12-01-2004, 12:56 PM
James
I am about to add a ShopBot to my existing craft business.
Technical and practical things about the ShopBot will come from others.
There is one thing that I know.
The simple thing is making the product (and normally fun and pleasurable), all the rest can be a pain in the butt.
In your 18 months, consider every aspect of the non-manufacturing side of the business. This forum shows that any practicle problem will be discussed and solved in record time.
It's the rest where you have to sort things out.
Its a lot of trial and error, learning from mistakes, and being realistic.
Try to find a niche. Combine a couple of ideas and make something which is your own. Don't try to compete against the Chinese.
....Mike

sbsi@chartermi.net
12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
James,
I was in about the same position as you last year. The ShopBot will do anything you "design" for it with exceptionally close tolerances. I purchased ArtCam Insignia software with my unit and there is a steep learning curve, but I have found many of the questions, in this forum, on how to set up special cuts, etc. are all included with this software, including nesting of parts. My experience tells me what I first believed. Software is the key, the equipment follows. You will quickly learn the mechanics, but the software setup is the key.

Your first priority should be whether you will be satisfied with the included software, or some other software that is available. Many of the questions on the forum with answers with cutting file printouts are never addressed by me because the choices are all included in ArtCam.

PS I will be upgrading to PRTalpha this month. I have really enjoyed the past year of learning and trial and error.

Tim

jay
12-01-2004, 05:50 PM
James, I was in your position a couple of years ago. That is retired. Have done some hand carving and signs part time. Had to retire because of a bad ticker. Then the carving caused some problems with my hands which resulted in 5 surgeries. No more carving!

After a year of dreaming of a SB, I bit the bullet and purchased one. I had no work for it at the time. I should mention I played with the software, PartsWizard for 3 or 4 months before making the purchase decision.

Played with the machine for about a month until I felt comfortable with what I could do and more importantly what I could not do.

In less than a year the machine and software is paid for. I approched all the sign companies in my town of 113,000 and now cut for most of them. I told them I did not want to be in the sign business but I did want to cut signs for them.

I cut some speciality products I came up with for a couple of different companies. I also cut for some of the contractors and building supply companies in my area.

Tim, is correct, the software is the key. I purchased Artcam Pro, yes it is a lot of money but the machine can only do what you tell it to do. I thought I would do a lot of 3D cutting but it turns out most of my work is 2D. But that is where the money is so . . . like most I can't seem to get the dollars out of 3D work for the time it takes.

I think you are making the right decision with ShopBot. Great machine! Get a demo of some of the software play with it in your spare time, then make the decision on what to purchase.

Not only have I paid for the machine more quickly then expected but I have had a hell of a lot of fun every day working with Artcam and ShopBot. In fact have moved from my double car garage to a old rented pool hall as I required more space to play. Yes, the machine pays all the overhead easily.

All the best in making your decision. Have fun and make money with ShopBot.
Jay Pollard, Thunder Bay, Ontario.

brian_harnett
12-01-2004, 07:27 PM
James I work with solid wood much more than sheets.
I glue my boards up to the sizes I need.
For software I use adobe Illustrator, similar in user interface as photoshop but uses vector graphics.
Depending on what you do with the bot there can be a substantial investment in software, Part Wizard is easy to learn but limited.
I do a lot of V carving and 3D work so I bought Rams cam software for me the balance in price and software capability made sense.
Figure your market and work from there.
Good Luck
And make it back safe
Brian

Harnettcycles.com