PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hold down non vaccuum system

Paul b (Unregistered Guest)
10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I have an alpha but do NOT have a vaccuum hold down system. i have to cut plastic circles 2"dia 1/8 thick plastic. when i try to cut the part as it completes the diameter the part flys off the sheet before completion and creates a noticeable tag/nick where it did not yet cut say 1/16. i do not wish to have to clean these nicks up afterwards if i can help it. any ideas thanks in advance!!!! sheet is 2ftx4ft in case this helps.

Brady Watson
10-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Paul,
You can use outdoor carpet tape...or make a vacuum box that sits on top of your machine and your shopvac...

-Brady

kerrazy
10-06-2005, 08:33 AM
trying cutting it in two passes. The first path will take all but a small amount of material away. Then turn off you dust collection and cut the last pass. I find it is the dust collection that is a greater problem for causing projectiles on small parts than the force of the cutter. Because the parts are so small the dust collector tends to lift them slightly and allows the cutter to then lift them the rest of the way and fling them. Also do not use a spiral cutter, use a bouble flute cutter, and if possible leaf the protevtive plastic skin on the parts so it will aid in holding the parts as well.
I cut lots of 1/8 in. and 1/4in thick parts from platic and these are very successful methods for me, as I too do not have a vac hold down system.

Dale
Dale