PDA

View Full Version : I need help

handyman420
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Im a sophmore in high school and im looking to use the shopbot to make a little extra cash, and im wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I could start making. Thanks

jhicks
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Chris, I can only wish I had the opportunity and access to such equipment when I was in high school. Regardless you have the right idea to ask for help and this forum is full of ideas. Suggest the following
Learn the software and equipment 1st.
Try some techniques and samples of cuts, bits, feed speed and design strategies.
Make some good and bad samples as you progress.
Take photos of all your work.
Read and search the forum
Find folks doing the type of stuff you are ineterested in and collaborate with them.
Then stay active in reading and sharing ideas.
Follow that path and you're sure to have fun and develop unique items you are passionate about.
Then go out and try to convince folks to use you to provide their new and unique parts, your own products, or complete products/projects.
You're fortunate and sound like you're off to a good start so BOT on and keep up with your studies.

Brady Watson
03-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Chris,
One idea that is easy to do and everyone likes, is v-carved signs. You can make standard sizes, pre-finish blanks and v-carve an address, name or slogan on the sign. There are 10 fonts that you can use right away in PW as well as experimenting with other fonts using the TypeSetter in SB3.

My advice would be to make a few and show them off! If you set a price at $25-35 for a small sign, I think that you will do quite well with that.

-Brady

earld
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
If there are clubs in your school, digitize their logo and provide items for them, like plaques with the names on them. The same is often true for community service clubs. Make up a plaque with their logo that they can use in one of their events. One club here has a golf tournament every year and making unique plaques for them makes them feel pretty good about the presentation.
Earl

gerald_d
03-01-2006, 12:00 PM
If that ShopBot belongs to the school, you have to give something back to them. And that is an advantage! Because, if the school is going to get something back, they might be convinced to help promote "your" products.....

In other words, go and tell the principal (Mr Steiger) that you want to raise funds for the school (and yourself). Offer them maybe half if they help you to advertise via circulars to parents. Offer a freebie to the class/club that brings you the most orders.

You could put Pirate Pete (http://www.phs.d211.org/News/phsImages.htm) on a wooden plague......

kerrazy
03-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Gerald you freakin' me out....Stop it.
Dale

gerald_d
03-01-2006, 01:01 PM
or
?

kerrazy
03-01-2006, 02:35 PM
of course gerald, I just am concerned with your BIG BROTHER thoroughness

gerald_d
03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Gotta let the kids know they are being watched

sawkerf
03-02-2006, 06:48 PM
How many hours are in a typical South African day? There has to be more than the standard 24 hours for you to do all you do.

Kip