PDA

View Full Version : Want new control computer.

erniek
06-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I am running a 2.6 ghz Celeron processor with 384 megs of ram. It runs the shopbot control program well. Now I'm running the shopbot link on there as well and find that if it has to nest 10 sheet it takes a long time (10-15 minutes) before it's ready to start cutting. Just wondering what I would need in terms of processor or memory to speed this up a lot.

nat_wheatley
06-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Ernest,

Here's a link to the recommended computer systems, for Ecabinets, posted at their site:

http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet_systems_recommended_computer_system.htm

thewoodcrafter
06-21-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think your RAM number is incorrect.

But I have a 1.7ghz laptop with 1 gig RAM running XP and it will nest 10 sheets in less than 1 minute.
You must have other things running.

Gary Campbell
06-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Ernest...
The Celeron processor usually does not have a math coprocessor. This allows email and web browsing computers to be sold for less money. Nesting is a very math intensive operation and the Celeron falls short.

Nat provided the link to the system requirements for eCabinets above. Even tho your SB Link computer doesnt require quite as robust solution as eCabs does, having more doest cost a lot more than the underpowered systems. If you use both on the same computer, go with the minimum specs for eCabs.
Gary

erniek
06-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm thinking it's the celeron processor. I do have a 1.8 ghz Pentium 4 Machine that I will try before I buy a new one. I don't use this machine for eCabinets so I'll go this route first.

erniek
06-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm wondering if the slow computer could be the cause of the occassional stuttering that happens with the shopbot when it's running at high speeds.

jerry_stanek
06-21-2009, 05:35 PM
When you run tour speed test what speeds are you getting? Do you have the usb hub that comes with the shopbot hooked up if not try that mine runs faster with it than without.

erniek
06-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I have a PRT 48x96. I am not using the hub. I was able to jog at 11 inches per second. However
when jogging at a diagaonal it can stutter and lose position at that speed so I have backed off the jog speed to 8 inches per second. I thought it was that there was some limit that the motors were reaching but now I'm beginning to suspect that the computer is the limiting factor. When I upgraded to the new 4G controller there was an external USB hub that came with it. I didn't need any more USB connectors so I didn't use it.

How do you run your speed test?

jerry_stanek
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Shopbot recommends using the hub to force the computer to run at USB 2 speeds. That is the only reason I use the hub. I ran for 8 months without it but read on here to try the hub It increased my transfer speed quite a bit.