PDA

View Full Version : First Post, Unpacking 48X96 PRS Standard

michael_schwartz
11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
First post here, My 48x96 PRS Standard is due for shipment in about 2 weeks and I can't wait.

Unfortiontly I don't have a loading dock/forklift or paved path up to my shop to move the crate too with palate a jack.

Current plan is to have the crate lowered into the partking lot out front, then uncrate and move the parts inside. About 20 feet to my shops garage door.

Essentialy I want to know what I am getting myself into as far as whats going to be involed with this, how many people I should have helping, etc... From looking at the current long range forcast there will likely be snow on the ground, but at lest that means no rain.

david_white
11-19-2009, 05:32 PM
All the parts can be moved by one person once the crate is on the ground. Assembling it will take two people. Have fun.

adrianm
11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I got mine just inside the garden gate. Unpacked it all and carried it from there.

It took two of us to move the gantry but everything else I did myself.

bob_s
11-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I agree, except for the gantry. I would say it takes two people. Especially if you have a doorway to go through. I would also plan on having a couple of sturdy saw horses, they really helped when I was setting up my machine 6 months ago. I also found a little impact driver very useful, it can all be done with a socket set, but things like bolting down the table top are a lot easier with a little battery driven impact driver.

If the instructions don't seem to match what you see just call tech support. There were a few things, minor stuff, that were different than the manual showed, and I wasted a bunch of time until I finally called. A 2 minute conversation cleared up the confusion. The fun starts when you get it up and running for the first time.

myxpykalix
11-19-2009, 11:00 PM
here is something i did that i recommend. My carriage was 5' wide and heavy so i took a
cumalong and attached it to the ceiling rafter and hooked it to the carriage. The reason being is before you attach the limit blocks on the rails your carriage could roll off the end or if while you are aaligning the wheels if it falls off the tracks it won't go anywhere.
I was working alone so i had to think up ways to help myself. By using the cumalong time after time i could ratchet it up and have one end held up while i worked on the other end.

jerry_stanek
11-20-2009, 06:45 AM
I used an engine hoist to pick mine up once it was up I could move it around to position it.

pappybaynes
11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
The driver of the truck that delivered mine used his pallet jack and was able to move it on some pieces of 1/4" plywood that we placed on our unpaved driveway - right into the garage(we now call it the shop!)

toych
11-20-2009, 06:43 PM
The driver backed up to my shop door, lowered the crate on the gate and we (3 of us)slid the crate onto snowmobile dollies. You can then move the crate around yourself.
Casters on a board would work just as well.

curtiss
11-21-2009, 09:19 AM
You might be able to rent a "piano dolly" somewhere that you could set it on and roll it up the driveway.

chiloquinruss
11-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I moved mine with a little furniture dolly into my shop. I unpacked and setup following the instructions. I had help with the gantry but everything else i did myself. Russ

chiloquinruss
11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Sorry bout dat! Da preview looked good!
Russ

chiloquinruss
11-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I'll try this again!

Russ

curtiss
11-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Russ,

I think they could film the "New Yankee Shopbot" show in your shop... very nice.

gc3
11-21-2009, 03:56 PM
...shops way to clean...must have borrowed the scrap in that box from next door

chiloquinruss
11-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the kudos. I have a woodmaster 5000 cfm dust collector (just to the left of the bot) and I designed the collection system with two floor mounted 'sweep' inlets.

http://www.woodmastertools.com/NS/accessdetail.cfm?PID=88

The dust on the floor is just a sweep away to the closest floor inlet. There is still a fair amount of dust on the air but mostly from the table saw not the 'bot'. I also generate a lot of dust doing resaw work on the large band saw. I have a stockroomsupply drum sander but it is 'almost' dustless. My next tool purchase will add to the mess and its a planer.

jseiler
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
What do you think of the stockroom supply drum sander?

chiloquinruss
11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I built my own box per their plans, got the motor from Harbor Freight and put it together in a couple of hours. Works as advertised and is quiet and 'almost' dust free. They have some sample videos of it on their web site and its just like they show. Very versatile. I built the 30 inch model. Total investment just about $400 dollars. About 1/4th the cost of anything else and it really does a great job. Russ

chiloquinruss
11-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I built my own box per their plans, got the motor from Harbor Freight and put it together in a couple of hours. Works as advertised and is quiet and 'almost' dust free. They have some sample videos of it on their web site and its just like they show.

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

Very versatile. I built the 30 inch model. Total investment just about $400 dollars. About 1/4th the cost of anything else and it really does a great job. Russ

chiloquinruss
11-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Michael,

First let me apologize for hijacking your thread! Now back to your new machine that's being built as we speak.
1. Go to Shopbottools.com and download the software and play with it in preview mode.
2. When you receive your machine and get it unpacked spend a day reading and rereading the assembly instructions.
3. TAKE YOUR TIME - pay close attention to the sections relating to adjustments and measurements (making it square). Time spent here will pay huge dividends in the accuracy of your machine.
4. Get help with the gantry as its very heavy and just a little awkward to handle.
5. HAVE FUN! It's one of the most rewarding experiences I've had when ya' start makin' chips!

Again sorry for the hijack! Russ

curtiss
11-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Michael,

So getting back to the original post... do you have a 3/4" socket wrench?? No 48" x 96" wood products are included, so have you decided on your table materials? dust collection system?

michael_schwartz
11-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry been busy for a few days.

Thanks for the replies, especially Russ since the pictures really helped me visualize what the crate will look like.

Re: Curtis

Probably going to go with two sheets of 3/4" MDF on-top of 3/4" plywood to give something to screw into unless there is something better.

Probably going to stop by the local lumber yard here some time in the next week or so and order a half dozen sheets of MDF, and a few sheets of plywood to have on hand.

As far as dust collection it is getting hooked up to my 3.5 HP tempest cyclone, ducting already in-place. I ordered 10' of hose and I have another 5' - 6' or so if I need it. Dust collection should not take long to get hooked up so I can run it when I mill the table flat.

I will make it a priority to pick up a 3/4" socket wrench. I had a cheap-o some time ago that didn't last long. I have a few cordless impact drivers as others have suggested as well.

bcondon
11-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Michael.
Welcome aboard.

The best information I can give you is to print the instruction manual and read it NOW. It is easy to get the concepts in your mind now.

I went to the local hardware store that has a fork lift truck. I brought my trailer there and they loaded the shopbot onto the trailer. I was then able to back the trailer into the garage and forget about it for a night... re-read the manual.

chiloquinruss
11-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Michael,

I used t-track and 3/4 in mdf for my spoilboard setup. The bottom is a full sheet bolted to the ShopBot frame. The second layer is countersunk bolts bolted to the base layer. The third layer is glued to the second layer. This is the actual spoil board. I have my machine for over a year and resurfaced just a couple of times. I still have about 1/4 inch left of the top boards. Once they are 'spoiled' further I will just surface to just past the 'glue' line and replace the blocks on top. Remember rule #5 Have Fun!
Russ

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/board-post.cgi?action=posting_upload_form&what=show&img=48542 ,

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/board-post.cgi?action=posting_upload_form&what=show&img=48543 ,

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/board-post.cgi?action=posting_upload_form&what=show&img=48544 ,

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/board-post.cgi?action=posting_upload_form&what=show&img=48545

michael_schwartz
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Just as an update I received my bot a few days ago and just got it all connected today. I need to mess with a few things, build my table, but I should be up and running soon.

Thanks for the all the advice.

curtiss
12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Re: ...Just as an update I received my bot a few days ago and just got it all connected today....

Michael;

I assume the "do not open until Christmas" sign on the crate did not work....

cj