PDA

View Full Version : Second set of Shop bot Cabinets (pics inside)

dray
03-22-2007, 02:13 PM
After squaring my shopbot etc up its running great. Heres second set of cabs I built with the PRS. I will post installed pics later on 2 different sets.

Admin keeps deleting my threads on how to square and lvl your prs if you run into trouble just shoot me an email for the low down..

paco
03-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Good work Danny. I'll be looking for the next pics.

Something strange... the cabinet look very tall...

dray
03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
yeah houses have 10' ceilings here in my neck of the woods

myxpykalix
03-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Either they are tall or he's short! Hey Danny, The drawer fronts and doors are mdf but the drawer box isn't mdf right? I'm jealous of all the space there...good job!

dray
03-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah its All 3/4" mdf. drawer boxes are 3/4 " mdf I route the inside tops, miter the corners add slots for dvd's etc.
The sides each have 3 adj shelves and they have a big plasma to fill in center.

Cab is 108"

matt_r
03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Danny,
Maybe this question should be on the MDF painting thread, but I was wondering how long it will take you paint/stain/clearcoat this particular entertainment center. How many man-hours?
Also, what program do you use to make the drawings as shown above?

Nice Work!

Thanks,

Matt

dray
03-23-2007, 11:26 PM
I trained my painters to do my painting but their process is this..
for stain type finish:

1. fill,sand, primer
2. fill sand, primer =)
3. base color coat
4. water based sealer
5. stain
6. water based laquer

(2 guys 1 day depending on relative humidity)

Paint only:

1. fill,sand, primer
2. fill sand, primer =)
3. paint
4. 1-2 coats of water based laquer

(1 guy 1 day depending upon relative humidity)

I dont have any special software for cabinets. I refuse to pay the extortion KCDW wants.

Its a ripoff to buy any of the cabinet software out there now. They could make it affordable and EVERYONE would use it but bad marketing on their part.

I feel the same about shopbot technical support. They have an incredible product but will delete any posts helping another shopbotter setup his machine because in doing so you are pointing out their shortcomings.

Email me if you need any more info

dray
03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Sorry been busy on other jobs, but had time to run in and finish this cab. Im really excited about my cnc, took around 5 hours to cut and build the cab at the shop then about total of 5-6 hours install.(2 short days been really busy)

myxpykalix
03-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Really nice stuff, i'd love to learn how to make cabinets like that. When you designed these cabinets did you generate shopbot cutting files to cut them? Good job!

dray
03-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah I have them around somewhere if you want a copy

cjohnson
03-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Danny,
Just a couple of questions for you. First off, your handywork is really nice. Thanks for the posts as I do not know much about cabinet work either but I am learning.

1. Do you have a preference to what type of MDF you use? Regular, lightweight, or ultra lightweight? Do you prefer a certain brand? I have purchased MDF from several places and each one was different. I bought a sheet of 5'x10' and the outside layer was some sort of crusty hard paper. When I cut out the doors for mom, i had to sand the tabs down and some broke off which ripped the paper off the back in some places. Another brand didn't have this problem. I'm assuming that the tougher paper exterior is used for certain applications. What are your thoughts?

2. I painted my doors with kilz oil-based primer, then sanded, then applied oil-based high gloss paint. Would you recommend putting laquer on top of the oil based gloss paint? I remember when I was younger, we would paint cars with a base coat that was kinda dull or flat, then apply a clear coat that gave the paint the wet look. Is your base coat similar to a dull or flat paint?

3. I would like to try your cabinet cut file also. Don't know if I could put it together like you did but it would be fun trying.

Thanks,
Craig

brian_h
03-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I love it when people post pictures!!!! Nice work Danny. I get so inspired by everybody's projects.

myxpykalix
03-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I would be most greatful if you sent me a copy. I have been meaning to buy a bigger flat screen tv and having a new bookcase/entertainment center would give me justification enough to just do it! Thanks!

dray
03-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Heya Jack.. Gimme a few days Im swamped at work and on my computer desktop I have 30 folders of cut files. The minute I get a chance I need to unclutter my desktop and arrange/organise the files. Ive had 4 requests Ill send em all out at the same time..

Its 9:40 pm here and Im still cutting lol. Ill finish here tonight at 11ish.. been same all month GRRR

myxpykalix
03-30-2007, 12:50 AM
cool beans

henrik_o
03-30-2007, 06:10 AM
I'd appreciate having a look at those files, too, if it isn't too much trouble. Haven't got a 'bot, but will probably have one fairly soon and it would be interesting to dissect the parts files. Email is in the profile.