PDA

View Full Version : Router will not turn on!!!

baltic_birch
12-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Brand new Alpha.....

I can't get the router to turn on via the software.
Switch is on, router works if plugged into wall.

I toggled switch 1 and pushed start on the control box...... no power to router.

I also moved the router around after the box says start the router.. says ACTIVE like it thinks it is on.

Reread the manual and checking the archives here.... no luck yet.

Any tips?

Thanks!!!

baltic_birch
12-31-2006, 05:57 PM
I've tried it all.

I hear the FAINTEST click in the control box when I toggle output 1 NOW....... it did not do that an hour ago. Router will not spin after I push the start button though.

Thanks

paco
12-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Check the wiring again; if you can hear the contactor then the signal reach it. It may be faulty though... For the output switch #1 to work, #4 must be activated via either a running file, a movement or in K mode; you must see #4 and #1 ON in order to spin the router.
Whenever SB3 want you to press the START button, it'll ask... in doubt, try it.

baltic_birch
12-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks.

I double checked the wiring, still no go

K mode I have both 1 and 4 on.
I hit start and nothing. I then can toggle #1 and hear a faint click.

The fuses are ok.

The only difference I could tell is contactor # 2 seems to be "tighter" than the others..

Arrgh!

Thanks

paco
12-31-2006, 07:56 PM
My next step would be checking the contactor operation with the control box open and maybe having a tester in too... but I'll caution you about electrical danger and leave it to you as to go or not.
The problem seem to be around the contactor... faulty or not.
If you're not in a hurry, check out the rest of your new toy along with the softwares stuff.

Happy new year and Bot on!

myxpykalix
12-31-2006, 10:50 PM
It seems to me i recall having the same problem when i set mine up. Problem was that I set it up according to the manual which turned out to be directly opposite to the way it needed to be. I can't tell you how to hook it up but if you have a digital camera, take a picture and send it to one of the guys at shopbot. That was what i did. We fixed it in a matter of a couple minutes. Your situation may be totally diferent than mine though.

baltic_birch
01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jack and Paco.

Hmmm.... the schematic shows a vfd/spindle wired to Contactor 2(m2) and router to Contactor 6(m6).

Manual says wire router to M2, which I have done.... Does not work.

Looking at the schematic FUSE 3 leads to M5 then to M6. Only 2 wires go to M6 , A RED and a White.... which line up with the terminals that would power a router on the other side. M2 has 3 Black wires.

The power box schematic shows the router running off M6.... the wiring matches up..... hmmmm.... does the software output switch also power the M6 relay??

I'll try to post some pics..... maybe somebody has had this same problem and tell me where the wires need to go vs. what the manual says.

Thanks

baltic_birch
01-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Aha, Output 2 controls M6.

Interesting.

myxpykalix
01-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I think some serious manual updating is in order...

gene
01-01-2007, 06:19 PM
I am going to suggest the very obvious, if you are running a router and not a spindle is the switch on the router on , or is there no switch for that , I dont know , i run a spindle, Just trying to help

baltic_birch
01-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm using contactor number 6 and output #2 and it works great so far.

I'll figure out later if it needs to be changed to contactor 2 and output #1 for any reason.

Thanks everyone!