PDA

View Full Version : Indexer Question

stockbub
02-19-2007, 09:34 PM
What do you guys think about an indexer for the SB? What are the limitations? How hard is it to program tool path?How do you zero out where the indexer is and tool around the material?

steve4460
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi Martin

Check out this http://www.shopbottools.com/accessories.htm
Bot on

myxpykalix
02-19-2007, 11:16 PM
martin,
I sent you some mail since its too big to be posted here......900k....

rnels
02-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Martin,

Have an indexer on my prtalpha 48X96. I have not used it extensively yet but have turned a few items.

In my opinion the indexer is not designed to be a full fledged lathe. It is not meant to be a fast production machine but instead a means to create unique turnings not done by traditional lathes. It can turn out traditional lathe turnings but if you want exact duplicates of lathe created turnings it would take some work on toolpaths to get the sharp transitions a traditional lathe tool can achieve. The more toolpaths the more time involved. Once you have the setup though you can create an exact duplicate whenever you need one.

ShopBot has an indexer software tool with which you can create turnings. As with everything it is a learning process.

Here is the link to ShopBot's indexer info which tells about the indexer install and software tool and how to zero etc. http://www.shopbottools.com/files/SBG00139060509Indexer.pdf

Randy

scottcox
02-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Martin,

With a little effort, you can learn to do some very unique carving with the indexer. I say go for it!

Scott Cox

BTW: I'll see you at the camp!

hfjim
06-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Scott,

What software did you use to create the tool paths for those columns? I am completing a larger version of the indexer (48" diameter x 24' long) and I'm looking for something that I can use to carve on the surface of a piece.

scottcox
06-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Jim,

You can use any software to create a "flat" shopbot file and then convert the M3 commands to M5 commands where the indexer (B axis) turns instead of the Y axis traveling. Microsoft Excel has a 64K line limit, so I use a database program. You can also do the simple spirals and diamond shapes in Notepad, by writing M5 commands manually. It takes a little work but the results are worth it.

Another option is Cut3D though I'm ashamed to say I haven't tried mine yet. If there was just another 12 hours or so in a day.......

I would really like to see that indexer. Please post some pictures for us to drool over.