PDA

View Full Version : Tabbing

loriny
01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
What do you others do when tabbing drawer sides or other small parts to eliminate the tabs having nothing to hold to when the other parts around them are cut out. I am loosing a few small pieces when I run the final part of the outline.
Lorin

ken_rychlik
01-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Have you lowered the last line feed speed?

Kenneth

Gary Campbell
01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Lorin...
This is something has been discussed with the Link programmers. There may be some changes to help this situation in an upcoming version.

I have been able to cut a good number of small parts by adding additional space (3/4) between parts so that the tabs do not get cut off. I have had pretty good success by selecting all of the small parts (down to 1.5" wide) and nesting them onto off falls.
Gary

carlcnc
01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Lorin
not sure what software you are using, on mine
[Millwrite} I can click and drop.drag,place tabs with mouse,
when I nest parts for minimal waste[ie .01 over diameter] I apply tabs to adjacent parts at the same x,y location.
does that make sense?
Carl

thewoodcrafter
01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Carl,
I think he is using the SB Link from Thermwood.
(the forum title)

loriny
01-07-2010, 06:09 PM
My last line feed speed is the same as my first pass. Just under 3ips. I may try what gary said. I never thought of that. It should work as there are usually not very many I need to worry about and it would be a good place to use some of my off cuts.
Thank you everyone
Lorin

ken_rychlik
01-07-2010, 10:01 PM
If your minimum feed speed is slow enough and you do a last line feed speed reduction, it would help some. The last line it is adjusting for is just the ramp section it cuts through at the end of a part. Spacing the parts more under nest settings would help, but you may not want ALL of the parts spaced further. Working out of the scrap pile makes the most sense.

KR

carlcnc
01-07-2010, 11:01 PM
OOPs
ther I go skimming/looking but not seeing again

dlcw
01-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Lorin,

Do you have vacuum hold down? I regularly cut drawer parts from prefinished 5/8" baltic birch without parts shifting around. I normally do a climb cut at 240IPM and leave a skin on the parts then conventional cut the skin away at 120IPM. The skin is about 1/32".

The only place I've used tabs is on long narrow cabinet stretchers. Like Gary said, tabs isn't the best working part of the Link and Thermwood is working on the issue.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

loriny
01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I do use vac hold down. I think my problem may be almost eliminated if I cut my drawer parts and stretchers on a freshly surfaced spoilboard. I may try a thinner skin. I forget what it is set at now as I am not infront of shopbot computer, but it stands to reason there might be less force on the part if I am cutting less.
Lorin