PDA

View Full Version : Electric cost running Bot

bstern
10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Anybody have a WAG about what it costs in electricity per hour to run a PRS ALPHA 3 hp spindle 10 hp Fuji vac and 5 hp dust collector.

I'm thinking of moving and I don't pay for electricity now. The new shop would be on me.

Anyone care to guess how many kilowatts on average it takes to run such a machine cutting 3/4 melamine?

Thanks

tracys
10-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I am under the fist of First Energy in Ohio with some of the highest rates in the nation. I don't want to know what is costs, its too much!!!

dana_swift
10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Go out and read the meter, then do a heavy cut for an hour or two, go back and read the meter. It may not be your account at the moment, but it will have a meter!

Once you know how much you are actually using in a couple hours of heavy cutting, you can estimate the monthly with reasonable accuracy.

D

bstern
10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Dana, That would work, if I had a meter to read!
Unfortunately I am in a multi tenant property with no individual meters.

Anyone have time to give this a try for me???

I am really just trying to get at a reasonable number that will represent in $ my benefit in having my electric as part of my rent.

I was hoping someone who knows more than I could come up with a decent guess.

rcnewcomb
10-21-2009, 04:33 PM
<wag>
About $0.29/hour for electricity

1 HP = 0.746 KW
3 + 10 + 5 = 18 HP
18 HP = 13.428 KW
If that is peak
Wild guess of 30% average = about 4KW/hr
Electric rate of $0.0725 per KWh
</wag>

erniek
10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
And in the winter it's also free heat for your shop.

myxpykalix
10-21-2009, 10:22 PM
bob whether you realize it or not you are paying for the electricity in the rent, so its not free.
For example in some of my rental properties the utilities are shared. There may be 2 people upstairs and 1 person downstairs yet they split the electric and gas and one of the tennants is getting screwed on the utilities care to guess which one?
However...because the gas, for example would cost the same for 1 set of tennants or two having the downstairs tennant pay half he is subsidizing the upstairs but at the same time paying less then if he had to pay the bill himself.
So depending on your usage you may be subsidizing your neighbors bill or he..yours.
One thing i can guarantee, its not coming out of the landlords pocket!

ron brown
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Randall's guess is probably as good as anyones without actually metering it. Few tools pull nameplate ratings except at startup.

You would also be amazed at what water-heaters, lights and the little wall-warts pull/ When starting to track real energy conservation one starts to see the many small 'phantom loads' that contribute to ones excessive electrical bill.

If you think your bill is excessive, try replacing the electricity you use with solar PV and wind, running off batteries.

Ron

adrianm
10-22-2009, 04:12 AM
I have one of these with the transmitter clipped to the power line supplying the 'shop.

http://www.diykyoto.com/uk/wattson/about

It lets me keep track of exactly what is consumed minute by minute over a 30 day period. At the end of each month I can download the data into the PC to keep track of costs over the year.

With electricity costs being so high in the UK it's a great thing to have but I haven't had a chance to run it with the 'bot yet as I'm still installing it.

I've got one of the new control boxes and the wiring diagrams I have don't match what's in the box so I can't get an electrician to connect it at the moment. I'm hoping support will get me something today.

bstern
10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks Randall.

I fully understand that I am paying for the electricity now in my rent. I am in the process of considering a move to a new space that does NOT include electricity in the rent. I am trying to estimate what my electric bill would be at the new space. This will tell me the value I am receiving at my current space in order to do a proper comparison.

It really does not matter if I am subsiding anybody else. The only thing matters is the value I am receiving.

I think I can do a good enough estimate now.

Thanks