PDA

View Full Version : Headphone Survey for Router Owners

magic
02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I wear headphones 100 percent of the time. I have a router. The ones i have play music too.

YES or NO (assuming you have a router and are not bragging about your spindle)

Do you wear headphones, earbuds or plugs?

erik_f
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
I bought a case of the foam ear plugs with the highest rating I could find. I used to wear muffs but I set them down about a year ago and haven't found them since...thats when I decided an infinite source of ear plugs was in order.

beacon14
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Earplugs. New pair every day.

Spindle = quiet.

Spindle cutting melamine plus vac table plus dust collector = not quiet.

dana_swift
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I use "Zee NRR III" ear plugs, they are the best I have ever found. Learned about them when I was working around jet engines. Now I use them in the shop, they are inexpensive and dont bother my ears.

Sometimes I wear Ruger shooting earmuffs instead or in addition. It gets really quiet with both of them.

I put a strobe light on the phone, otherwise I would have no clue it is ringing.

D

drodda
02-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I use headphones when the Bot is running. Wood shops should sound like wood shops, Not a quiet place like the kitchen. A man's shop with sawdust and tools scattered about and plenty of loud noises.

-D

magic
02-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I bought these head phones at Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19546&filter=mp3
over a year ago (you can plug in an mp3 player too).

I like them a lot better then ear buds. I also have a light that blinks when the phone rings.

ljdm
02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Huh? You say something?
I used to wear headphones to hear sounds, now I have to wear them because the damage caused by them and the rock concerts, I need to save what little hearing I have left. Not easy getting old.
Huh? What did you say? Speak up! !#**@!

myxpykalix
02-19-2009, 12:11 AM
I use a old set of motorola communication headphones that I had left over from my video stuff. It insulates the sound well enough but still allows me to hear whats going on. I don't think its a good idea to be listening to music while the bot is working. If something starts going wrong you will usually hear it before you see it so you don't want anything to hinder that.
oh, and being about half deaf at this point helps! Oh, and Lou, the last concert I went to was "foghat" in the 70's so it ain't just concerts that will do it to ya...

audiodemon
02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
I have a PRT48x96 W/ a PC. I use a pair of Shure E2's (with an mp3 player) These cans are made for IEM (In Ear Monitoring) on stage for musicians, especially in loud audio enviroments. The cord comes from behind my head and tightens up so there is no loose cord dangling. I agree with Jack that you'd hear something wrong before anything else .. but as i have been a "Soundman" for over 20yrs, i'm accustom to listening and don't have a problem adding my SB as another instrument in the mix or wearing them all day if need be, once i was familiar with the "normal" operating sounds of my machine that is.

myxpykalix
02-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I do think it is important to be able to interpret the sounds the bot makes so you can tell when bad ones are coming out. Since being almost deaf from an early age i had to learn to read lips to help figure out what some were saying while mumbling. So since "Lips" were not an option that you could buy for the bot you have to learn and hear what she is saying to you to be safe.
OMG, can you imagine if the shopbot could talk what she would say....
"Why do i have to do all the hard work around here"?
"You don't do anything but sit there and watch me work"
"Why do you just "push my buttons"?"
(does any of this sound familiar?)

khaos
02-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a PC. I use the big earmuff types with a full face shield. Without the hardhat but similar to this.

chuckster
02-20-2009, 01:21 AM
I turn the music up to drown the sound of the router, the dust collector, the vacuum......