PDA

View Full Version : Data transfer interuption when using multiple USB cables

russell
06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Hello all,
I,m new to the Shopbot world.I am opperating a rebuilt Thermwood 5'x10' table with dual router heads and mated drill presses.It's a BIG DAWG
..Anyway...the usb cables have to reach 45' to the machine.3 active cables end to end.When i do this i get data interuptions (or at least i think thats whats going on), but if i leave the office door open and run 1 cable(16'active) with a short (6') inactive cable it runs fine.But i can'nt leave the door open becuase dust and computers don't play well together
.I've tried a Cat5 cable with a USB converter but it could'nt even begin to work.
Any suggestion would be appreiated.

hines
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches).

Q: How far away from a PC can I put a USB device?
A: With the maximum of 5 hubs connected with 5m cables and a 5m cable going to your full speed device, this will give you 30m of cable (see section 7.1.19 for details). With a low speed device, you will be able to get a range up to 27m, depending on how long the device's cable is. With a straightforward cable route, you will probably be able to reach out 25m or so from the PC.

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/