PDA

View Full Version : Carved Lid for a blanket box

myxpykalix
07-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Its 46"x21" made out of walnut, a lid for a blanket box. It took a total of over 15 hours to carve. Any good suggestions for a solution to being able to sand in the details? I read about references to a "sanding mop" but that looked like it was set up for a drill press.

srwtlc
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Jack,

I've had good luck with one of these (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/DC1D5C2D/mac/additmdtl.mac/showItemDetail?item=FS60000G&qtyA=0&phsO=N&desc=2% 20X%206%20ASSEMBLED%20GOLD%20SANDING%20MOPS&drpshp =N&alOrd=Y&iQty=.000&oQty=.000&initQty=1&assortPar ent=N&itemForSale=N&styleName=SEE%20LIST%20OF%20GR ITS&fixD=&face=.00&gftc=&stck=N&prefS=&calledFrom= DS&ordInfo1=&ordInfo2=&ordInfo3=&ordMan1=N&ordMan2 =N&ordMan3=N&persCode=&persReqd=&persLink=%20&ship Remaining=0&daysBetween=0&daysBetweenFix=0&monthsB etween=0) from Klingspor's in a hand held drill. 120 and 180 grit work well once they are broke in. They have some larger diameter ones also.

knedert
07-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Very Nice, Jack!
The braid around the edge caught my eye...
How many different bits did you use?

cnc_works
07-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Walnut cuts pretty good, Jack, but definitely still needs work after your done!

The best thing I have used is a piece of the maroon pad abrasive cut into a rectangle something like 1 1/2" X 3", or 2" X 4" folded over, then put a small drill mandrel through the center of the folded over pad and tighten down the nut with washers on each side. I'm sure you could adapt size and number of layers to your own use. I use my Foredom, but I suppose anything from a Dremel to a drill would work to drive it. It wears round very soon and does a great job of cleaning up the fuzzies. For finer detail, cut some radial slots around the edge. I don't suppose there is any reason you couldn't use the gray for more cutting action, but I've only used the maroon.

Donn

myxpykalix
07-05-2007, 02:32 AM
Rose..2 bits 3/4" endmill for rough cut (5 hours), 1/4" ballnose for finishing pass (9 hours). Still needs some detail sanding where i still had some fuzzies left in smaller crevices.
I took a dremel and started working with that but got frustrated with the lack of progress.

rookie432
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Awesome Jack,

Did you design the carving yourself or were they downloads.

I have had some success with a dremel and the brass or steel wire brush madrel to knock off the fuzzies. However for this size carving that would take some time. I have used medium wire brushes before to knock down the large fuzzies. ( the kind you get at the automotive store for cleaning your battery terminals work well)
Some of the stones for your dremel will work to clean up any scallops you get in the low spots. of course with large carvings you may want a die grinder and larger stones.

Hope this helps.
That black walnut should sand up real nice.

Bill

davidallen
07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Dremel has something that looks like a sanding sponge that I used with good results. HD and Lowes both carry it.

da

myxpykalix
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
What i found is any attachment with the dremel when applied to the surface would bog down stop or get stuck in small crevices and it lacks the power to get any results. I may try some type of flap sander and cut the flaps into thin strips like the "sanding mop". I just can't see paying $50.00 for a mandrel and floppy sandpaper.

jseiler
07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
depending on the stiffness of the fuzzies, you could try a little sanding sealer (I use deft or bullseye shellac) and a dremel brush or scuffy pad. It seems like sanding sealer seems to make fuzzies just brittle enough to sand off, at least on mdf. I've also used surgical brushes (some groceries sell them as mushroom brushes) for delicate things and harbor freight detail brushes (3 pk, one steel, one brass, one nylon).

Be careful with walnut dust, some people have skin reactions to it.

John