PDA

View Full Version : PRS Standard, or used Alpha?

stump
01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I found a used shopbot locally, a 2005 Alpha48. It has a PC router and comes with Vector art collections. I will be using the shopbot to cut cherry wood, mostly puzzle bases. The initial tasks will be limited to cutting out the bases, pocketing holes, and making slots. My questions is would I be better off with a used Alpha, or a new PRS standard? ( a new Alpha is not in the budget ). If used, what is a fair price for a 2005 unit? The unit cost 13k new, and still looks like new. It has about 20 hours of cutting time on it. The current owner had ideas of starting a business but choose another direction.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

jsfrost
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Any of the versions you suggest will do the job you describe nicely. An Alpha will cut faster, but you probably won't need the extra speed. I think the best choice for you will depend on the price difference between new and the used Alpha you are considering. A 2005 Alpha is a good machine, and can be upgraded with new motors to near PRSA at a very reasonable price. Check motor upgrade pricing with Shopbot.

It might help to look before you leap. I am a bit far from you, about 20 miles from Mankato. But I can probably put you in touch with an owner nearer to the Cities. Drop me an email.