PDA

View Full Version : Ok one more question for the group conscience

dray
04-19-2007, 02:38 AM
I milled a few of these today and got a wierd wood grain look. Then looking in artcam and zoming in I saw the exact same thing. I did a 2 rail sweep is there a way toget rid of the rough lines other than smooting (smoothing takes away the molding detail)

fleinbach
04-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Danny,

You need to increase your resolution. I had the exact same problem myself a few weeks ago and Brady strightened me out. Of course there is only one place to set the resolution that I am aware of and that is when you open a dxf or dwg file. Once it's saved to an Artcam file I have not found a way to reset the resolution.

I just move the slider bar all the way to the right for the sharpest detail. Though this gives the best detail it slows down rebuild of the 3D view considerably, and I have a fairly high speed duel core processer with a high end video card.

The size of the model has a big bearing on reproduction time. The smaller the model is the faster the 3d veiw will be created. On a larger model using the shape editor your time can be increased from 30 seconds to anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes.

dray
04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
thanks frank!
I didnt think the resolution would carry through to the actual piece wierd huh

fleinbach
04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I thought the same thing. So much for too much thinking.

bleeth
04-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Danny: For best cutting of stuff like that ( and just about anything you need good cut resolution on) you should end up with resolution numbers around 2 million.

dray
04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks..
I just cut a piece had to cut in 2 passes because it was 1 /34" deep. I cut on highest resolution and it still had those wood grain looking lines. Im gonna cut one more tonight and go full resolution and do 1-2 smoothing passes

fleinbach
04-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Danny,

I also had the same experience. Even though increacing the resolution does help it did not totaly eliminate the jagged edges. But I did find a way that worked for me. I noticed that I only got them if the profile edges created a straight vertical line in them. In my case by angling the edges of the profile just slightly I was able to eliminate them. But on one file I ran I need the edge to be straight verticaly so I made a single pass using the profile tool path after the 3D was done.

fleinbach
04-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Here is an example at high resolution.

You can still detect jagged edges when the profile edge is vertical.

But if you just slightly angle them it totaly eliminates the rough edges.

bleeth
04-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Frank: That's a new trick for this old dog that I'll never forget. Bravo.

Dave

aaasigncom
04-20-2007, 07:37 PM
FYI RULE OF THUMB ON ANY SIZE DRAWING THE SMALLEST DIMENTION SHOULD ALWAY BE AT LEAST 1000. BUT, SETTING REAL HIGH RESOLUTION SLOWS CALCULATIONS DOWN ALOT WITHOUT INCREASING RESULTS PROPORTIONATELY.

dray
04-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Wow Ill try that thanks Frank!!

fleinbach
04-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Dave, I just figured this out last week.

I was detrmined to smooth things out and had tried many things. I decided to look over my previous files where I had made simular sweeps that where totaly smooth. That is when I noticed the new file I was having a problem with had straight vertical lines on each end while the previous good sweeps did not. That's when I tried angling them and found it to work.

Danny you made a good point earlier that I thought the same thing about when you said it seemed strange that screen resolution would affect the actual cut path. Of course maybe we are all missing something as it seems odd that the software would make this error on vertical straight edges only. Possibly there is some setting in the software somewhere that would correct this.