PDA

View Full Version : Starting New Business Any Suggestions?

mitchell
01-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi there

I am looking to purchase a 5' X 10' CNC Router machine. After months of debating i have come to the conclusion of a shopbot rather than a shopsabre. Fully on the fact there are alot of satisfied customers. Agree or disagree?
The use of the machine will be cutting MDF Melamine. Was wondering bit life when cutting this application. I was also leaning towards an idustial router. Since i will be cutting melamine board would you suggest high rpm rather than hp in the router.
I am going to be unexperienced with a cnc machine but i will be going there for the training program or getting them to come here. Im ready to learn and would love to hear your imput.
I have table saw, and all tools imaginable but i will be purchasing an automatic edgebanding machine the - olimpic k 203. With the operation setup i will mostly be aquiring the cnc machine for my boring applications with cabinetry for shelving. I have also looked for proper screwing aplications for melamine board.I have some experience working with mdf and understand the issues.With me starting a production line business im looking for easiest applications. Any suggestions doing pre-drilled to using self drilling mdf screws? Will be using 3/4 boards. Im looking for the cnc machine to predrill my shelving holes in my end panels,would this be efficient? Would love to use dowels for quicker assembly but would love to purchase the horizontal and vertical boring machine only after i am successfully running. Equipment purchasing is the only thing i lack. Want to make the right decisions with the equipment.Im already in the commercial business and thats where i will be with all this.There is no problem getting the work i just dont want the work to get me without having everything in place.
Thank You!

mitchell
01-22-2008, 08:13 PM
I also would like to hear an opinion on the Techno Premium class cnc.Compared to ShopBots machine. Not talking money.

jamesgilliam
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Nathan, Yes there are alot of satisfied Botter's. I can not give you a life on bits as I do very little MDF. As far as drilling the shelving holes in the end pieces I have done this many times and would not go back to doing it any other way. Last project I did this on was four end panels with a total of 196 holes. including time to change out the plywood, from start to finish of the four panels wae 11 minutes. That also includes cutting the panels to size. Not to mention this was on and older PRT machine without any upgrades.

myxpykalix
01-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Let me make a suggestion you try the bits offered by www.centuriontools.com (http://www.centuriontools.com) I have done lots of mdf and these bits cut GREAT, and are SHARP!

(Fred, I think it's time you put me on the payroll!)

gene
01-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Nathan,
Go to the potential shopbot user thread listed below. Also listen to Jack. Centurion bit are very good

elcruisr
01-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Cutting the MDF is easy, cutting the melamine requires really sharp tools and a compression spiral or down spiral to cut clean. Melamine will also wear tools fast. There are some tricks you can learn to extend the life a bit but melamine can be troublesome in some brands. I got some stuff from Dixie one time that notched my carbide cutters after six sheets! I then discovered everyone else had the same problem with the brand they had. Tafisa is pretty good usually.

I favor Onsrud cutters and a spindle but then my machine runs most days full time on parts production.

mitchell
01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Thank You, For the information. It will be much easier with the help. At least i will be able to have a head start trying the ones you guys suggest. That way i will not have to try picking the good from the bad. Would anyone suggest a CNC Router within the 50grand range? Just in case there was that one i missed.

Eric- Do you run Melamine frequently with your machine? Favoring the Onsrud cutters and spindle.

handh
01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Nathan,

I really don't know about everyone else but asking us to sugest a cnc router other than shopbot on a shopbot forum might be considered poor taste. I would suggest a ShopBot since they have provided a great machine at a affordable price and also this forum for us to use.

Thanks

jseiler
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
50 K? Buy a top of the line bot and 2 used bots. Take the other 12K and go on a software shopping spree and vacation.

John

mitchell
01-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Im wanting tool changer, vaccume table etc. Already have vacation booked in July this year so thats paid for
All money is Company invested.

mitchell
01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Another words also Jeff the question I might have should have said. If you could have a favorite drink and they didnt have it at the store what would be your next choice? Im not disputting your hardcore taste for your bot. Maybe if you could give me great examples of why for my applications that i would also love a bot. This forum was also for shopbot owners to promote a product of shopbot. Why is shopbot a great machine?Affordable price for what applications that you run a machine for.I want a machine that will run non-stop 7 days a week if needed. Would you put your shopbot in that continuous work? Have you? How long did it run like that?

Would love to own a bot JEFF. Promote these questions i ask.I really do appreciate the help. Thank You!

handh
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Nathan,

Its really hard to tell by your post what you are wanting. In the beginning post you are using the bot to cut melamine and mdf, then in the next sentence you are only going to use the CNC just to do line boring.

In the beginning post you are wanting to buy a shopbot to drill line boring holes and later in other post you are wanting a machine to run 7 days a week non stop.

I'm not slamming you, I probally am misunderstanding you. You said what would we sugest for your application, its really unclear what your application is. What do you want the machine to do exactly. Does it really need to run 7 days a week non stop, I seriously doubt that.

We use the Shopbot to cutout our cabinets, we have not had any problems with the machine. I know of companies that produce a lot of products with their shopbot and use them full time and are very happy with their purchase. I also know of people who have spent the 50,000.00 and more and are very unhappy with their purchase. Only you can decide what would be the right fit for you. If you are seriously going to run the machine 7 days a week non-stop then that's so much over my head I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Thanks and I'm sorry for my confusion and would be happy to tell you anything that you what to know about my ShopBot CNC machine.

Jeff

elcruisr
01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
<<Eric- Do you run Melamine frequently with your machine? Favoring the Onsrud cutters and spindle.>>

I used to cut a ton of it but these days it's shifted more to plywood and MDF. I cut a LOT of parts. We can run upwards of 40,000 parts a year. If you plan on cutting a lot you're going to use up routers at an amazing rate, thus the spindle was more profitable in the end for us.

My preferences in tooling are from years of trying everyone else. While I have not given Centurion (and they may well be fine) a try I gave up chasing new suppliers a few years ago. The costs are rolled into billing so it's no big deal. Their technical support has been the best I ever found and they've bailed me out of several emergencies with their service. I'll stick with 'em!

mitchell
01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I will be cutting melamine boards 3/4. The cnc will be cutting the melamine along with my other saws. The main purpose for the purchase the cnc is to have two to three men in the shop. It also will be alot easier since it can drill for shelving holes and hinges. It seems like a really great machine and believe me i cant wait to get my hands on one.

It a commercial cabinet business different jobs call for more or less work. Typically it will be running 5 days a week 8 to 10 hours a day.The machine may have to work 7 days a week if jobs require it. That would be great right
. Just wondering if could stand up with the excess work loads. And no i dont need it to run 24hrs a day. Would like it to be able to run 7 days a week 10 hrs a day no questions asked. That would insure me a solid machine.

Will be using the cnc cutting cabinets out of mellamine board, cutting out for hinges in doors and possible piloting for screwing the cabinets together.

What machine do you currently use? What type of material do you cut with your bot?

Thank You Alot!