View Full Version : Mastercam file conversions

don62
07-16-2005, 06:09 PM
am bidding on a job that has what i believe are mastercam cut files. (.NCI, .nc, .SLDPRT, .TDV and a file called 'CAM viewer') would appreciate any help getting to see the objects and converting the files to something autocad, vector and shopbot can see. thanks don

paco
07-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi Don!

You probably can convert the *.NC one (maybe the *.NCI but you'll have to remove the "i" from the file extension in order for SB3 to handle/read it...) with FC command (choose G-code files type) from SB3 (ShopBot PRT's control software)... try it, you'll see the output from a text editor or try it with SB3 (FP command) under previewer (SP command).

I'd guess that you could probably re-convert the "converted file" from *.SBP to a *.DXF one for you to view it (edit it) under a CAD software...

Can't your "customer" provide you with a standard CAD file (DXF, DWG, EPS...)? ...I'm guessing not but just asking the obvious...

Hope this help!

8-)

don62
07-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Paco - thanks for the suggestion; however... ran SB3 and was able to see all the .nc files in the FC, when i did the conversion, it created an SBP file, but when i FE that file i get a run time error stating that the file is empty. hmmmm

i think the customer is providing the CAD files, but they are in a mastercam file, not a dxf - plan to call mastercam when they open on monday.

next i will try changing an .nci to and nc and see what happens

don

srwtlc
07-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Don,

Vector might be able to open the .NC file with VectorNC and then you could/should be able to do a conversion on it. Worth a try maybe.

Scott

(edit) I see that VectorNC wants .NCD file types.

don62
07-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Scott,

gave it a try a couple of ways - opened a new vector file, went to cam tools, opened shopbot which gave me a vector nc - then attempted to open first an .NCI, then an .nc and then changed the .nci to .NCD - each time program came back to say it could not open the file. if i am going about vector wrong, please head me straight - i agree - thought it would do it, but no success.
don

paco
07-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Just a thought; could you provide us a sample of the code so I (we) may suggest way(s) to converted with a text editor... have you consider a "manual" conversion with a text editor?... how does the "original" code look like?...

don62
07-16-2005, 11:16 PM
have sent four files to Paco's email address - after uploading them to the forum, got a message they were too big. will be glad to send more or to others if that will help
thanks
don

srwtlc
07-17-2005, 12:12 AM
They're apparently a little propriatary. As Paco stated, if you have some code that may be able to be backplotted or converted or if there's someone out there that has MasterCam that could come to the rescue.......?

paco
07-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Hummm... here what I got from FC;

I have been able to get the FC to work on one file (the *.NC one)... I run SB3 3.4.1

I don't plan to share thoses files... don't get scared... I'm suprised you could'nt upload 'em to the forum; the *.NC one is only 37 lines of code!

I'm not so sure it is of any help!... for bidding a job...

Is this metric units?

Just another thought; I believe a "good" customer "should" be able to provide YOU with a standard CAD file... your a professionnal right?!... again, just my plain opinion...

Scott's idea might be relevant if someone here have MC...

I'm sorry Don that I could'nt help more than that... good luck!

gerald_d
07-17-2005, 04:11 AM
When I convert files like these, I use a spreadsheet (Excel). I like to be able to sort the commands by type, and at the end, get them back to the original sequence. This makes it easier to see if one has caught all the command types.

don62
07-17-2005, 03:33 PM
and the beat goes on..first, found that my problem was doing and FE is 3.4.1 after doing the FC - the FE gave me a run time error. however, if i ran the new program, i got the same as Paco and if i opened SB editor i could see the files. next i went on the web and found a free download called edrawings that now allows me to see the solid drawings of the complete product. now all i need to do is associate the .nc drawings to the final product. will keep you informed but you all have been a great help and i am very appreciative
don

don62
07-17-2005, 11:47 PM
latest - used edrawing to create a file that the Rhino 3.0 evaluation recognized - then did a Rhino save in dxf that vector and autocadlt recognized. all this is natuarally in 3d, which is virgin territory for me. would appreciate suggestions of how to get to cut files from here.
thanks
don

gerald_d
07-18-2005, 01:07 AM
You are now asking how to get cut files from 3D dxf's, and that is a huge territory with no easy answers. Someone has already climbed that mountain and made the MasterCam files.

If you know what tool sizes were used in the MasterCam programs, it would probably be easier to get your cut files by directly converting the MC files.

keith
07-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Don,

I have SolidWorks and could convert the solidworks file (sldprt file) into a 2D DWG file. If you only need the typical front, top, side views, etc...it might not be a big deal. From there I'm not sure what your options are with a DWG file but perhaps it would help. Currently I don't have a shopbot (that's why I'm reading these forums.....I need to convince the wife that it's something we can invest in) so I'm not sure where you can take if from there. Just let me know......

-Keith

keith
07-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Also, the NC file is G-code from Mastercam. NCI is an intermediary file that I'm not sure you'll be able to use. If your customer has Mastercam (hopefully Mastercam Router) they can post out their toolpath operations to G-code with the Shobbot post. I can't test how that post works out of the box, but its another thought....

don62
07-19-2005, 02:54 PM
first to Kieth -Shopbot and its customer base is a great company - tell your wife that a shopbot is well worth the investment -
now an update - have just talked with Chris Taylor of Cad/Cam solutions that is sending me demo copy of MasterCam 9 that will allow me to open the MC files, back plot and look at the ops manager that will show tools. should have the program via snail mail and they have offered to walk me through any problems. really appreciate all the help and advice could not have gottem here without your help. 0nce i get mastercam going will keep you all informed and of course have many more questions
sincerely
don

dan_kintzel
07-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Don,
I am a licensed Mastercam user and can convert your files to .sbp if you still need help.
Email me at:
danielk@woodmode.com (mailto:danielk@woodmode.com)