PDA

View Full Version : Editing the ZZero file

foamman
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Hello,
I am trying to edit the Z Zero file (custom file 2) to make it so the raise of the tool between plunges is much smaller.

I am machining some 3D parts that I have just enough room for (roughly 4 inch of material and 3.5 inches of tool) and when I go to Zero the Z axis, it makes the first plunge but as it raises to make the second, it hit the proximity switch which messes up the whole routine. I have run the files successfully so far by manually bring tool down to the zeroing plate and making a fixed .125 inch drop after it makes contact. But, this is time consuming and probably not as accurate as the Zzero program.

I have looked at the Zzero file in ShopBot Editor but I can’t see where it calls for the rise between plunges. Again, I am looking to limit the rise between plunges to a half an inch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

srwtlc
08-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Ben,

I've got mine at 0.375. Look for this section...

CONTACT1:
'This is our subroutine for action on hitting the plate the first time
VA,,,&zbot 'Set the approximate Z location based on thickness
PAUSE 1
JZ, 0.375 'Pull-up SLIGHTLY ...
'Now We're Ready to Make Slow Move for Accurate Reading
PAUSE 1
GOTO SECOND PLUNGE

You will also want to limit your safe z height that it pulls up to when it is finished. That can be changed by editing the my_variables.sbc file or look for this line in the zzero file and overridde it.

'Set thickness and pull-up distance
&zbot = &my_ZzeroThickness * &SCALE
&zup = &my_ZzeroSafeZ * &SCALE

Remember that if you update the software that these will be overwritten so you may want to save it as a new zzero file like "My_Zzero" and edit the C2 file to look for it.

Scott

foamman
08-28-2009, 10:12 AM
That's great Scott.

Yes, I plan to copy the original and rename the new one.

Thank you
Ben

fsrdoug
09-11-2009, 02:37 AM
I do a lot of high relief carving close to the max Z height and found that if I zero at table top instead of material top I had fewer problems and could always start from the same point. That can be a real plus on files that run 15 to 18 hours.

myxpykalix
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Doug and scott...I do some long carvings and have on occassion had the same difficulty but have never zeroed to table top because i feared running into the material upon starting or ending of a file. Where is your Zzero when you make a file, corner or center of material?

jay_d_wyant
09-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Jack as long as you specify the material thickness, and tell the software where you zeroed, you won't "run into the material".

myxpykalix
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
hi jay..this might be one of those "part file 101" questions but since i can't remember too well anymore you are probably right.

BTWi I have had a couple guys contact me about setting up there own indexers and I knew you set your own up if you have time could you post a parts list and costs? I looked back for your original post but couldn't find it. I thought it was in this section...thanks

srwtlc
09-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Jack, It depends on what I'm doing at the time, but I mostly Z zero on the material surface and XY zero is at the lower left corner of the material. Once in a while I'll XY zero in the center of the material, but not much. As Jay states, the software (Aspire) knows where the Z zero is (surface of material or table) and calculates for "Safe Z" accordingly. That is if you remembered to set up the material when making a new design/file.

knight_toolworks
09-11-2009, 11:33 PM
there is a setting that lets you adjust safe tool height. that will let you set the height without changing the zz file. but I can't look it up at home.

courtney2018
09-12-2009, 11:19 AM
It would've been nice to have a real prox switch for the Z. I've marked my Z so I know where the tool is and where the physical 0 is. Has anyone ever added a prox switch like the X and Y have?

dana_swift
09-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I wish Z had a prox switch also.. I hit my upper Z limit all the time from the K command. Just getting it up out of the way.. and "klumk" i just faulted and have to re-zero z again. Why not a prox switch there also?

D

jerry_stanek
09-12-2009, 12:45 PM
my old PR has a limit switch on it. I will have to look to see how it is wired up. Maybe I will install one on my PRS.

Gary Campbell
09-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Guys...
I use a prox on both my A & Z axes. SB Sells them single or pairs. They do provide a Z prox on the PRSalpha with the Toolchanger option.
Gary