PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector? or Dust Annihilator?? 7.5 hp of fury.

odulfst
07-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Just got the new dust collector hooked up. It's the 7.5 hp Oneida cyclone/dual canister filter system. Absolutely huge. What a pain to assemble, but man was it worth it.

I was going to build one based on Bill Pentz' specs, but ODU decided they would rather buy a system than count on me to build one. I spec'd out one with similar capabilities to what I was going to build and they actually bought it.

1 10" hose though the roof split to 3 6" hoses under the machine and then 6 4" hoses strategically pulling down around the table. Closed in the machine with some leftover plexi to make it a downdraft.

It works really well, but as I thought, will need a skirt around the top to slightly increase the velocity and catch every spec of dust. Some very very fine dust still made it out from time to time, but I think the skirt will fix it.

Tell me what you think,
Tony
oops...pics later...

Cheap vids later

odulfst
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

zorlack
07-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Uhh... wow.

tim_mcknight
07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
That ought to suck the wings off of a fly at 100 yards. I think you are on the right track that installing a partial roof will aid in capturing the really fine airborn dust.

odulfst
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
I really want to add a ramp to the cyclone too.....but that thing is so darn heavy. Really fine dust makes it to the filters, probably because the thing is a bit oversized, but I still think a ramp would be good.

thewoodcrafter
07-17-2008, 02:11 PM
How much trouble is it to get to your material you just cut?

zorlack
07-17-2008, 02:38 PM
What kind of work do you do? That's quite the Z-axis you have hehe.

odulfst
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
The material is machine grade MDF. It's available at a fairly local supply warehouse in Norfolk Va. This piece was rough cut on a table saw out of 3/4" stock and then laminated with wood glue. end product weighed in around 200 lbs.

I mostly don't get to take advantage on my ~20" of Z, but when I do it's usually for larger 3D models and molds. The one I'm working on now is mold for one of the body panels going on an experimental magnetic levitation car that Old Dominion University is working on. Mostly, the large Z just makes for more chatter and hence, slower cutting. The Z support brace definitely wasn't designed to be so long.

Can't get my video small enough to upload here, at least I'll get a pic of the collector and post it up.

Did I say 2000 CFM?